Melbourne or Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Krispy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Krispy

Krispy New Member

I plan to go and live in Australia soon and I'm not sure which city to choose. can anyone give some advuice please.

2. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

They are two different cities with two different flavors.

I think if I was starting out I'd pick Melbourne as my time there felt like the city was more youthful, more vibrant and with a more locals flavor rather than Sydney which seemed much like any other large international city.

Sydney, however, probably has more overall opportunities for someone starting out.

regardless, both cities are awesome! :)

3. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi there,

If beaches, surfing, sunshine and a fast paced life is what you are after, then Sydney offers just that. It is Australia’s largest and most expensive city which is very popular among tourists.

Property prices in Sydney’s inner city tend to be high and expensive which makes the outer suburbs the ideal choice for many migrants.

In the other hand, if you are into your cafes, bars, sports and shopping, then Melbourne is the city for you. Melbourne is the most European city in Australia and also less expensive than Sydney.

They are plenty of restaurants and small sophisticated bars to suit your taste. Melbourne is also great on the entertainment scene offering comedy clubs and live music events.

Melbourne beaches are also magnificent with a beautiful coastline but do not offer the surfing scene you can expect from Sydney and they are not as glamorous.

Unlike Sydney, Melbourne is widely multicultural and it is very popular among migrants who decide to move to Australia.

Hope this helps
    VacationBuddy

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. 5continents

5continents New Member

Both cities are wonderful however they have differences in beaches, life and shopping.

I am sure you will have great fun whatever you choose. :)

5. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Hi Krispy.

Well that depends entirely on what lifestyle you like. Both are very nice cities, and offer many advantages.

Sydney is a little more expensive in living costs (housing, rates etc) but has more to offer if you like to travel a bit or go away on weekends. Go north and you have the best beaches in the world, go south and you have amazing scenery, go east (flights!) and you have New Zealand only a couple of hours away, and go west and you have fantastic mountains.

Melbourne has more to offer for city living though, especially if you work in commerce etc. its the capital of business in Australia. If you like your sports, the Melbournians are fanatical about their football and just about any sport you fancy.

Are you immigrating or just making a move within Aus? I suggest taking a look at their tourism websites and finding out as much as possible since going to a place to live is a lfie-chaning move.

Good luck!

6. Krispy

Krispy New Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm planning to live and work in Australia, so I reckon I'll go with Melbourne.

You've all been a big help

7. prasad581

prasad581 New Member

Melbourne is better than Sydney. That about sums it up.

Better and cheaper food.

Nicer people. Sydney people can be rude!

Has an arts and entertainment culture

We host the International Melbourne Comedy Festival, Grand Prix, Moomba and various other festivals.

Our CBD is easier to navigate.

We have trams and not lightrail.

8. rubylene

rubylene New Member

I've never been to Australia actually but I've heard so many interesting news about the place.. They said that Sydney would be the best place..

9. shanereid

shanereid New Member

Sydney is Australia’s most beautiful city and millions of visitors come here throughout the year. If you also want to pay a visit to Sydney to enjoy all the museums, parks, art galleries and other natural sceneries, you should visit there.

10. arnisere

arnisere New Member

Krispy,

Not sure if you have moved to Oz yet but I much prefer Sydney as do a lot of people. I have been here for a few months now, I stay in a great 'homely' hostel and have a great set of friends, You are never short of things to do here, always meeting new people and discovering new places in Sydney and the surrounding areas.

Arn

11. sophielilydj

sophielilydj New Member

Melbourne is the best option for you

12. BlackEyes

BlackEyes Guest

I would also choose Melbourne, Sydney is too complex for first times while Melbourne offers opportunity to excel at somepoint. Sydney is a large city, its a fast pace life that they offer more while Melbourne is filled with cafes and bars, shopping is also there and the cost of living is less expensive than Sydney.

13. JasmineWanders

JasmineWanders New Member

Melbourne is so much better than Sydney!!! Melbourne has almost the same amount of people as Sydney, so they're comparable in size. However, Sydney is really fast paced, rat race, corporate and tourists kind of place. The people are really friendly in Melbourne, it's the cultural heart of Aus, and there's so much to do.

14. johandonald

johandonald New Member

Both Melbourne and Sydney are awesome places in various aspects. Wish you a great time in your city..

15. BlackEyes

BlackEyes Guest

Sydney has some much much nicer suburbs to live in and visit, more opportunities workwise, beachwise and in a lot of cases entertainment.

16. jordo

jordo New Member

HAHAHA!!! you have just asked the most commonly fought question in Australia !! Sydney or Melbourne....New South Wales or Victoria !!
    I have lived in both, although everyone preaches about Sydney's beaches and way of life...Melbourne cant be beaten in either, although a touch cooler and erratic weather, the beaches are beautiful, the Nightlife is amazing, the restaurants are neverending, the people are friendly, and its alot cheaper than Sydney.
    Melbourne for me !

17. kennethparker

kennethparker New Member

Melbourne is best place to live. Melbourne have good culture, economy and education. I always prefer Melbourne.

18. worldtravel

worldtravel New Member

Melbourne is also best place to live and not much expensive than Sydney.
    Lot of places to go around them and have fun.

19. gwen

gwen New Member

i just came back from there..nice place have fun

20. markatherton

markatherton New Member

Both the cities are really good you can choose any of those. According to me if you want to develop the business and settle down there then i think Melbourne is the best.