More about Algiers

Discussion in 'Algeria' started by mitraveler, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

The capital city of Africa's second largest country is at once modern and ancient. Long at the crossroads of culture, it's a city where you'll find mosques, cathedrals, new construction, old wonders, and everything in between. It's a city that feels like the Middle East and Africa. Algiers is an interesting place, for sure.

2. Images345

Images345 New Member

love Algiers!

if you've never been to Africa before, Algiers is a good start! I remember how excited I was when I first arrived there...just make sure you take note of Islamic codes of dress and avoid wearing short-sleeves and shorts if the weather is warm. Also, it'll be a good idea to have some knowledge of the French language or Arabic to help you along the way.

3. TheGirl

TheGirl New Member

Algiers is great for solo travelers

my tip for women traveling there alone is as follows: If you aren't married, make sure you wear a ring on your ring finger as it's a good deterrent for male attention. Also, learn some phrases in French, like "I'm married" and "Do you have toilet paper?"...they don't use toilet paper by the way.

4. Nofear333

Nofear333 New Member

surpassed all my expectations

algiers is surely what i expected. in fact, it surpassed all my expectations and im glad to have been there! if you have the chance to go there, I think you too will like it. algiers feels like turkey/morocco because of the spices, coffee, the Ottoman palaces, the scent of grilling lamb and colonial buildings. Honestly, I wanted never to leave!

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Thanks for sharing these tips. I am really fascinated by this place...I just love the region's cuisine, and I imagine it would be amazing to see it in person. It must be cool if you didn't want to leave, NoFear!