Moscow experience

Discussion in 'Russia' started by moneylue, Sep 21, 2010.

1. moneylue

moneylue New Member

I am planing a trip to Moscow-staying 1 week-...any advice/tips:
    -about transportation
    -must see attractions
    -restaurants
    -stores
    -places to avoid
    -what to do & NOT to do
    -hotels
    -others...

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

I'd suggest not to exchange currency nor use credit cards, as cash is king in Moscow. Credit cards are ok to pay the hotel bill but pay everything else in cash.

Also, withdraw money from the hotel ATM machine, and exchange money as you need to, not all at once.

Another thing to note, it is that ATM cash machines will give you big notes notes, and Russians hate large currency notes and it's not very practical.

You'll want to turn the big notes into smaller bills like 100's, 50's, and 10's. These you can spend. 100's are best (equal to about $3).

Lastly, notify your bank and credit card company that you will be traveling to Moscow and using your cards there, as you might need to have your ATM card daily limit raised.

3. ohnogoon

ohnogoon New Member

my advice to you would be to make sure all your travel documents are in order and that your visa has been granted before you leave your country. This is must! You should do this about two months before you leave and have a professional Visa agency do this for you to get it right. It will cost you a bit more, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Also, do not depend on American Express cards or travelers checks of any kind because neither the change bureaus nor the banks will cash travelers checks.

4. fcAnnie

fcAnnie New Member

The best places to visit in Moscow are :kremlin, Red square, state tretyakov gallery, old Arbat street,Victory Park and many more.

There are many good restaurants in Moscow . Still to name few : Noahs Ark (near Metro Kitai-Gorod), Baltschug Kempinski ( in red square), Cafe Pushkin (red square), CDL Restaurant etc...

Avoid staying in the public transport too late (after 10 pm), try not to wear luxurious clothing and costly jewellery that can attract envious looks.

last but not the least , enjoy your journey fully.