Musical Instrument Museum/Elvis Exhibit

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by mitraveler, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

The Musical Instrument Museum, one of the newest Phoenix museums, has launched a permanent exhibit dedicated to the King himself. Some of the Elvis items on display include his clothes, instruments and the Martin guitar (a D28 acoustic) he played at his final concert.

2. carmelo56

carmelo56 New Member

Musical Instrument Museum Phoenix

A museum full of instruments may not sound interesting, but I definitely suggest giving it a try. I am glad I did! It is truly an amazing place with thousands of instruments from every country in the World. There is also an Artist's room with displays and artifacts from a variety of artists such as Eric Clapton (guitar that he composed Layla), John Lennon (piano that he composed Imagine), Santana, and a cool Elvis display (also with memorabilia).

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does seem like a silly idea for a museum, but it's a well put together museum both inside and it. The building is lovely and fluid, and it's surrounded by a nice Arizona-style garden.

4. windzdb

windzdb New Member

The guitar that Elvis Presley used on his last tour, is being conserved and displayed in exhibit at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. You can only imagine how better this place would be if the King was still walking the streets!! God Bless Forever the Greatest!

Windz

5. turnover45

turnover45 New Member

Musical Instrument Museum arizona

I agree the Musical Instrument Museum is an absolute must see place when in Phoenix / Scottsdale! It is a beautifully laid out museum, and interesting to learn about the unusual ways music has been made over the years. I also learnt that bagpipes weren't unique to Scotland, and that Sousa's band never actually played while they were marching. Don't miss it!

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

How fascinating! I wonder how the tradition of marching bands got started. It's really nice that the MIM has joined the museum scene. Phoenix has some really great culture, that's for sure!