Must see places in DC

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by Vicolette, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

There are plenty of things to see and do in the countries capitol. For someone who only has a few days to take it all in, what are the "must see" places that can't be missed in DC ? I got the Smithsonian, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Alienarehere

Alienarehere New Member

I don't normally recommend attractions to people because one person's "must see list" is another person's "must skip list. Having said that, the National Museum of American History and the National Museum of the American Indian really get my vote.

3. Xavier3

Xavier3 New Member

This government shutdown thing is well annoying...museums on the National Mall such as the national gallery of art are closed. The Ford's Theatre and the Kennedy center are open but the opening times are shorter. Saying this, I hear that not all attractions are closed in Washington but what a bummer!

4. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks for the additional suggestions. When I visited DC, time was limited and there was no way to see even half the attractions. I spent most of my time at the Smithsonian so another trip is planned and this time, I want to check out even more DC museums.

5. Paran

Paran New Member

Well Vicolette! According to me the most amazing and worthwhile places to see in Washington DC are:
    National Mall
    United States Capitol
    White House
    Lincoln Memorial
    Washington Monument
    Thomas Jefferson Memorial
    Newseum
    National Building Museum

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I've been to DC a few times, and I feel like I haven't seen very much. I did like the Library of Congress, which might be a surprise recommendation. The architecture is really amazing, and it was cool to see Thomas Jefferson's books. The exhibits were really good here...and speaking of good exhibits, the National Constitution Center and U.S. Mint are really interesting. So was the Postal Museum. I could go on and on and on!

7. Xavier3

Xavier3 New Member

Not many people know this but the Library of Congress used to be in the Capitol building. Now, the Library of Congress is located right next to DC's capital and between House Office Buildings and the Senate Office Buildings.