Nairobi airport closed

Discussion in 'Kenya' started by Danny, Aug 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Danny

Danny Moderator

Anyone planning to travel to Kenya should know that Nairobi airport has been closed due to a fire that's currently ravaging the airport. For what I gathered, South African Airways, Etihad and Emirates have cancelled flights to Nairobi. Qatar Air said its Nairobi flights were being rerouted to the Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania.

2. Hitchcock

Hitchcock New Member

I heard the airport Cargo terminal is now in operation...luckily there were no fatalities. I still don't know how the fire happened but it's a pity that it happened because Jomo kenyatta airport handles more than 6 million passengers per year and it is one of the best airports in Africa.

3. Markbretton

Markbretton New Member

what it's even more bizarre about this is that Nairobi County does not have a single working fire engine. They had to pretty much use hand buckets to extinguish the fire, which of course did not work and caused so much damage to this beautiful airport.

4. Share22

Share22 New Member

Nairobi airport partially opened

It seems some international flights have landed already at Nairobi's airport but i dont see how that can be when they say most of the airport was destroyed in the fire. I wonder how long it's gonna take to rebuild the airport. what a pity!