navigating London Tube

Discussion in 'UK' started by MikeMachida, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MikeMachida

MikeMachida New Member

have you got any handy tips for navigating the London Tube?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

I've been to London, and I can tell you that navigating the London Tube isn't an easy thing to do for a first timer. Basically, you need learn how to recognize the color-coded tube lines, find out their names, where each line starts and finishes.

Also, the London Tube doesn't run all day..I believe they close at 3am and open at 6am. When using escalators, remember that people stand on the right. This goes also for walking on the pavement, driving on the roads, crossing roads, etc.

Also, use an Oyster card as it offers cheaper fares than paying cash on tubes and buses. Hope that helps!

3. cousin

cousin New Member

I agree, it is hard to a first timer. I haaaate the tube! Be sure to pick up one of the free tube maps they have dotted about the stations. The great thing is, if you accidently get on the wrong one, it only takes about a minute to get to the next stop, where you can just get off and get one back to where you came from, within about ten minutes.

4. fcAnnie

fcAnnie New Member

Here are some tips on how to make the most out the experience.

1.) Grab a Tube map, carry it around and study it. The maps are small and are normally offered for free at most Tube stations around London. Some people even collect them, as they tend to feature interesting cover art.

2.)Stay to your left -- when standing on line, when navigating the hallways, when getting on a train and when standing on an escalator! This is England -- people drive on the left and they walk on the left. Don't stop pedestrian traffic underground or clog up the escalators/stairs, as some people are in a hurry and wish to pass you. This way, you and everyone else will get to where you need to go faster.

3.)Remember the direction you're heading! Getting to the right platform -- northbound vs. southbound trains and eastbound vs. southbound trains -- can be confusing. Look at your Tube map, or a Tube map on the wall, and take note of the last stations on the line. The train you're meant to get on with have the ending station that's in the direction you're heading projected on a screen on the front, and it may also be announced on a scrolling board on the platform. Also, in many cases, the conductor will announce something like "this is a southbound train, heading toward xx." Pay attention.