need suggestions for trip to Peru

Discussion in 'Peru' started by lappyHolmes, Jan 23, 2013.

1. lappyHolmes

lappyHolmes New Member

hey folks...Im looking at traveling to Peru in May, though I still havent bought the tickets. At the moment im planning my itinerary so wanted to get some input on how many days to spend where. So far, Lima, Cuzco, Arequipa and Puno are on the itineary. Also, what are your thoughts on flying vs takeing the bus in Peru..are roads safe there? thanks!

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

suggestions for trip to Peru

How long you plan to be in Peru? assuming you plan to be there 2 weeks, I would suggest spending 2 days in Lima, 4 days in Arequipa, 2 days in Puno and 5 days in Cuzco/Sacred Valley. Lima was one of my favorite places to visit in Peru because of the Ballestas Islands, Nazca lines and other ancient sites.

3. fentimans

fentimans New Member

flying or taking the bus

flying or taking the bus really depends on your budget, but I personally would fly. Flying is no doubt much more expensive but bus companies don't have very good safety records. Also, when visiting Puno and Cuzco you can either hop on the Andean Express train or use a bus company like Inka Express (either way, both train and bus take 11 hours).

4. Noiukp

Noiukp New Member

eat lots of bananas

I second Lake Titicaca too..it's a must while in Peru! Puno is also worthwile visiting as it's the gateway to Machu Picchu. By the way, if you're not used to high altitude be sure to walk at a low pace in Peru and eat lots of bananas (really helps in preventing dizziness), especially along the Inca Trail, otherwise you'll get tired real quick, get headaches and dizziness.

5. Philip

Philip New Member

Serene beauty of Peru is beyond any comparison! My most enjoyable moments in in Peru was trekking along Inca trail of Macchu Picchu.