Nicaragua Food

Discussion in 'Nicaragua' started by Fredjones, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Fredjones

Fredjones New Member

hi,
    What's the food like in Nicaragua? does anyone got any suggestions?
    Thanks Fred

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi Fred,

Nicaraguan cuisine has French, Chinese, and many more influences. The street food of choice is roasted corn and plantains.

Be sure to try the Nacatamales, which is a traditional Nicaraguan meal that consists of mashed potatoes, pork and corn wrapped inside a banana leaf.

A good inexpensive place to experience real Nicaraguan food is the city of Leon, where you can also find the popular local market.

Hope this helps
    VacationBuddy

3. wendymae

wendymae New Member

I found the food there way more interesting and varied than in Costa Rica. They use chiles and cilantro in Nicaragua, but not in CR (typical food anyway).

4. shubhranshu

shubhranshu New Member

There are also other ingredients widely used in the Nicaraguan kitchen, mostly local, tropical products. Nevertheless, Nicaraguan culinary creativity is meticulous and open, which enables the utilization of ingredients used all around the world such as tomato, onion, garlic, flour, rice, orange, mustard and mayonnaise, milk and cheese, vanilla and cinnamon, and more. Gallo Pinto, Nacatamal, Quesillo and Sopa de Mondongo etc are most popular. For more info one may contact http://travel.justluxe.com/ also.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  5. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

Hi,
    Cuisine from all over the world can be found in Nicaragua especially in Managua, I tasted a wide variety of typical Nicaraguan traditional dishes including Gallo Pinto, Tres Leches and Indio Viejo. The Cocina de Dona Haydee restaurant which is in Managua is the best place to enjoy the authentic flavor of the Nicaraguan cuisine with reasonable price. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Nicaragua and always like to eat Nacatamal and Indio Viejo.

From quesillo (it's a thick corn tortilla wrapped around soft cheese, pickled onions etc) to nacatamales (consist of dough stuffed with rice and meats), I love all types of Nicaraguan food, hope everyone too. Also you can try Salpicon, Huevos de Tortuga and Mondongo, they are absolutely delicious!