North Carolina beach options?

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by whitetiger, May 7, 2007.

1. whitetiger

whitetiger New Member

I've heard about the wonders of the South Carolina beach scene, but how does the North Carolina beach scene compare? I'll be in the area next month and was hoping things would be kicking around there (don't think I'll have time to head south). Any tips on where to go? Thanks!

2. p_parker

p_parker New Member

hey whitetiger,

I asked for some suggestions on beaches as well. they gave me some suggestions that are also found on the Destination360 site. I don't think I can post the link but check out their North Carolina guide, it's there. When are you going? If you're going before July, let me know how it goes.

3. everyann

everyann Guest

4. aplacky

aplacky New Member

Being from North Carolina and having been to every beach, just about, for years, here is my take:

1. Wrightsville Beach: Fully built out, congested, expensive, trendy, teenybopping, but beautiful. Near historic Wilmington, my home town. Need to reserve oceanfront because you can forget about finding a parking space near the beach. BMW required. Plenty of restaurants and nightlife. Recommend Shell Island Resort, Sunspree or Blockade Runner if you want a hotel unit.

2. Carolina Beach: Poor man's Wrightsville Beach. Beautiful, but lots of tatooed rednecks. Lots of cheesy bars, not many upscale restaurants. Must be obese to sunbathe.

3. Oak Island/Pleasure Island; incl. Yaupon, Sunset, etc., all the stuff between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach: don't go there. Boring. Tepid water as they face due South. Wide quiet beaches but seaweedy at certain times of the year. I just don't like it.

4. Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle. My favorite, and I am from WIlmington/Wrightsville Beach. The quintessential beach experience. Lots of putt putt, go karts, water slides. Very family friendly. Plenty of restaurants, but not so much late night night life unless you want to hang out in a restaurant bar. Near quaint Beaufort, N.C. which is very pleasant. Also contiguous with Morehead City, N.C. which has one of everything.

5. Nag's Head/Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk: The jumping off spot for the Outer Banks proper. Big. Beachy. Plenty of everything that beaches have. Nothing else, though. No history or downtown. Just the beach, and depending on where you are the surf can be dicey for kiddies and sketchy swimmers: steep drop offs and big waves.

6. The Outer Banks proper: into the void. Small towns spread out. Not much to do. Have to drive to get anything. I find it boring, but on the other hand, if you are a purist it is the spot for you.

5. Nikvegas

Nikvegas New Member

Hi

I realise this post is too late for your visit but just in case anyone else is interested. I have been to Ocean Isle Beach North Carolina (just on the border of NC and SC), for the last two summers and have had a wonderful time. The beach is superb and the resort is very up market, although it has very few restaurants & shops etc. it is just an ideal place to escape the world. We rented out a house for a party of 6 and catered for ourselves.

6. piip

piip New Member

The southeastern NC area is great for beaches (and hurricanes, but that's another discussion). If you come down before July, no worries about storms. The area is called the Cape Fear Region and the beaches are Topsail Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Figure Eight Island, Carolina Beach, Bald Head Island, Oak Island, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, and Sunset Beach - in that order North to South. Wrightsville Beach is the most popular, Figure Eight is the most exclusive (private), Bald Head Island is high end, but mostly renters, and the rest are lower key, wth the exception of Sunset Beach which seems more family oriented. If your into surfing go to Wrightsville Beach and check out Masonboro Island for a northeast swell.

7. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

South Carolina’s Myrtle Beach area is an active location with plenty of fun in the sun, restaurants, nightlife, and attractions. When deciding what is the best beach in North Carolina, there are several areas to choose from for swimming, boating, fishing as well as shopping, dining, and local attractions. The beaches along the Outer Banks, Cape Fear, Cape Hatteras, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head are popular vacation destinations.