NOW is the Time to Visit the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by LisaValencia, Aug 28, 2011.

1. LisaValencia

LisaValencia New Member

What many people do not realize is that the weather on Costa Rica’s Caribbean side is quite different from the rest of the country. When it is rainy season on the Pacific side it’s dry and sunny here in the Caribbean, where I live. Yet the temperatures are milder than mid summer. Ask anyone else who lives here, September is the most beautiful month of the year.
    In September and often into mid October, the skies are bright and sunny and the water is calm and clear. Yesterday I was at everybody’s favorite beach in Punta Uva and it was like a HUGE swimming pool. There were families out for a Sunday picnic; there was a beach wedding held in the afternoon, yet the beach was not too crowded for a lovely swim. And there’s river there that flows into the ocean - with a rope swing - the kid’s favorite.
    All year long Puerto Viejo is a great place to go with its good restaurants, great live music every night and warm friendly people. But if you come in September you have the special bonus of practically perfect weather every day. I hope to see you here soon!

2. asderoatos

asderoatos New Member

Caribbean coast vs Pacific coast

I personally think that the Pacific side of Costa Rica is the better coast to visit, particularly the touristy Nicoya coast which I think will beat the Caribbean side any day of the year. The only drawback about the Pacific side of Costa Rica is that it has more rain, less wildlife, fewer tourist amenities, and uglier beaches, but no matter where you go, the Caribbean side just won’t be as nice!

3. LisaValencia

LisaValencia New Member

I think it is silly to create a competition between coasts. Each coast has its advantages and disadvantages. The important thing is to be honest about the qualities of each place when describing it. Then let people make their own choices. There are enough tourists and customers for everyone!

Some people prefer lots of amenities and all inclusive hotels. Some like to be around mostly other Americans. They may well prefer the Pacific side.

Some, like me, prefer less developed places and cultural immersion. That can be found on the Caribbean side.

In Costa Rica the astounding beauty of nature can be found everywhere. On the Caribbean side our exotic jungle crawls right up to the shoreline. The Pacific side beaches have vast wide open space and rocky outcroppings. Incredible sunsets can be found on either side. That's right, we get sunsets in Puerto Viejo! The town is on a point that juts out and faces north so we can look to the west and see the sun go down over the palm trees and reflect it's colors onto the ocean.

The east and west coast cultures are different from each other. The majority of the east coast Caribbeans are descended from Jamaica so there's lots of reggae music and Rasta cultural influence. The people on the Caribbean side are charming. As I have not spent much time on the Pacific side I would not know how to describe their special qualities but Costa Ricans everywhere are friendly, helpful and polite.

The weather is indeed different on the Caribbean side from the rest of the country. Rainy season in the Caribbean is from November through January and can extend a bit in either direction. When it rains here it can be quite random. Often we have a mix of rain and sun: rain one day, sun three days, rain for a week, sun for two hours, rain for a day, sun for a week! I prefer four months of this to the Pacific's six month rainy season (May through October) where it is almost always sunny in the morning and rainy in the afternoon, every single day.

Costa Rica's beaches are all beautiful. Some people prefer the mountains. Isn't it wonderful to live in such an amazingly varied place?

4. sherpa

sherpa New Member

Re: Caribbean coast vs Pacific coast

One of the most amazing things about the Pacific coast is the incredible sunsets - these are often best during rainy season when there are clouds in the sky to add to the colors.

Drop me a note and I'd be happy to send you some pictures. Or I can post post some here if I figure out how.