Oahu or Maui?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by vee, Aug 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. bob77015

bob77015 New Member

Back in the early-, mid-50s, when Dad was stationed at Hickam AFB, I only got to see one other island ... Molokaʻi. Of course back then I wanted to see the "big isle" (Hawaii) along with Maui and Kauaʻi (the garden isle) ... today I want to show my wife Oahu and the places I remember, as well as ALL the islands! However for this thread, I'd recommend visiting Oahu and then Maui (and Kaua'i if you have time) for your first visit to the islands.

2. cyberhandies

cyberhandies New Member

Kauai is best in Hawaii

IMO Kauai is the best in Hawaii! Kauai is small, easy to get around to any spot on the island no matter where you are and boast some great beaches. In fact I'll go as far as saying that Kauai boasts the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii

You can also enjoy a ton of activities like helicopter tours, hiking, biking, horseback riding, ATV tours, golf, kayaking, snorkeling, surfing, whale watching, Big Game Fishing, etc..I could go on and on..Don't think you can do as much in Oahu or Maui, do you?

3. lopezdevega

lopezdevega New Member

Oahu is better than Maui in summer

I'd say that neither Oahu or Maui are great for surfing during the summer months, though I concur with previous posters that you will have a blast in Oahu best, even in summer. I know the North Shore is flat in the summer, but there's small surf off Waikiki which is great for some decent surfing.

The HHV is also right in the middle of the action so you can do everything from surf lessons, windsurfing, parasailing, snorkeling, hikes up Diamond Head and Makapuu and a mountain bike downhill on Tantalus.

4. Clamedio

Clamedio New Member

Oahu is best for groups of friends

If you dont like crowds but want to visit in summer for a bit of surfing, I'd suggest going to Kauai and not Oahu. There are a few south shore breaks where you can hook up with action, but like everywhere else, locals come first. Keep that in mind and you can even surf Makaha on Oahu.

Otherwise, I agree with most people that Oahu is best for groups of friends and a lively vacation as there are more shopping and nightlife opportunities. If you're traveling with your girlfriend or want a quite retreat, then Maui is the perfect low-key getaway.

5. deldeN

deldeN New Member

traveling to Hawaii during the high season

I am a fan of traveling to Hawaii during the high season (December-April) as weather is pleasant overall and not too humid.

Of course, the weather in summer is hot and humid though it is great for water activities like snorkeling and swimming. Things are really expensive too, especially during July-August when kids are out of school and beaches are absolutely packed with screaming kids.

I also agree with the last poster that if you want to see big surf that the summer will not be the best time to go Hawaii. Try the winter months instead if you want great swells.

6. AhmedDoz

AhmedDoz New Member

Hawaii inter-island airlines

If you're planning Inter-island flights, there are four inter-island airlines servicing the islands. They include: Hawaiian Airlines, Go! Mokulele, Island Air and Pacific Wings.

By the way, if you are catching a connecting flight from Honolulu to one of the islands, look at your baggage claim ticket to see if your luggage has been checked through to your final destination. If your baggage claim ticket reads HNL, your luggage will only go as far as the Honolulu International Airport (HNL).

7. Mr.joha

Mr.joha New Member

base your vacation in Honolulu

I personally think that it is pretty hard to decide which island deserves my vote since each island seems beautiful and fascinating, and your vacation lasts only that many days. Whether is Oahu or Maui, I suggest that you spend at least 7 days on each island, so you will have enough time to explore and relax.

I would also suggest basing your vacation in Honolulu (which is in Oahu), and then take an inter-island flight to Maui to explore the pristine beaches, and drive down the famous road to Hana that passes lovely rainforests and waterfalls.

8. qalatonyu

qalatonyu New Member

both Maui and Oahu are great for snorkeling

If you are after water sports, look no further than Maui and Oahu. Maui and Oahu boast crystal blue green waters, and amazing reef life. However, for snorkeling I'd suggest heading on to Oahu where the world-famous Hanauma Bay is located.

If you want to see dolphins, you'll find them off the coast of Wainae. The north shores of Haleiwa is home to beautiful coral reefs and schools of tropical fish.

if you also want to explore pristine beaches and the outdoors, then go to Kauai's Garden Island. There you can walk miles and miles of sandy beaches in between your snorkeling adventures.

9. terance

terance New Member

Oahu is great for a slow vacation

I reckon Maui is better than Oahu for a for a slow-paced vacation or a vacation with kids. However, for young people, I'd say that Oahu would be best because it has alot more activity for the young ones, more stuff to do throughout the day and night.

You could always base your vacation in Oahu and then take a side trip to Maui which won't cost that much with domestic airlines such as Aloha and Hawaiian airlines.

10. jonasbrothers

jonasbrothers New Member

Oahu wins

Not another oahu vs maui thread is it? Both Maui or Oahu are great places to live but in my opinion it doesn't really matter where you stay, though if you must know the best place to stay then, it's Oahu.

Oahu is beautiful and you'll be bale to take a day tour from Oahu to Maui and explore the Hana Rainforest, the black sand beaches, and Hana town. I think staying in Oahu and taking day trips from here is a great way to get out and enjoy the REAL Hawaii!

11. hDready

hDready New Member

least expensive Hawaiian island

great suggestions on this tread on Maui and Oahu, but something you need to be aware of is that if you are looking to save money, Maui isn't the best place. Don't get me wrong, Maui is a truely beautiful island and is nothing like Oahu which is very congested with tourists and cars. However, Oahu is the least expensive island to vacation to in Hawaii. Anyway, you could always go to Oahu for a couple of days to see the sights you want to see and take an inter-island flight to another island.

12. ranzleon

ranzleon New Member

I'd prefer Oahu, Maui is crowded already.