Oktoberfest Chicago 2012

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by mitraveler, Sep 7, 2012.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Can't make it to Germany for Oktoberfest? You're not out of luck. Many places throughout the U.S. celebrate Oktoberfest and Chicago is one of those. It's not one formal celebration in the city like in Munich. There are several Chicago neighborhoods that are hosting events throughout September, along with restaurants, suburbs, and such. What's your favorite celebration?

2. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Navy Pier is hosting an Oktoberfest this year, and I'm planning on going to check it out. It's going to be a three-week celebration from Sept. 23 to October 10. The event will feature everything you expect for Oktoberfest--the traditional costumes, free-flowing beer, etc., but it will also celebrate the innovations of modern Germany. I'm not sure exactly what that means...but I guess I'll find out!

3. matadorez

matadorez New Member

go to Oktoberfest Cincinnati

if you can't make it to Germany, best you head to Cincinnati for Oktoberfest. they have the biggest one in US (i think they call it Zinzinnati Oktoberfest). chicago is also cool, but the one in Cinci do the funniest race event..they call it the "Running of the Wieners" lol.

4. callofduty5

callofduty5 New Member

Oktoberfest Chicago cruise feast

I'll be heading to chi-town for the Oktoberfest feast cruise on Friday 28th Sep at Paulina Market. They're going to be serving on board traditional German dishes including Paulina Market's famous brats, sauerkraut and German potato salad as well as Oktoberfest beers and music. Not sure if there's anymore tickets available. I paid $39 but i booked them 2 weeks ago.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks for the reminder about the festival. My niece is new to Chicago and always on the lookout for things to do. She's near downtown, and this would be right up her alley.