Oktoberfest starts soon

Discussion in 'Germany' started by mitraveler, Sep 7, 2012.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

It's September and that means it's time for Oktoberfest. Wonder why it's not Septemberfest? There is a good reason for that. It has to do with the better weather, but the date is also an important nod to Munich history. Check out articles about Oktoberfest in Munich, Oktoberfest decorations, and Oktoberfest girls to find out more about the history and story behind this amazing celebration.

Who's planning on going this year?

2. rosstrainin'

rosstrainin' New Member

best Oktoberfest in germany

I also heard is because of the weather, though the way the weather is acting up as of late they may have to start calling it "Augustfest". Still, I've always been saying that there's only one oktoberfest and that is Munich oktoberfest. Munich is nothing like an American Oktoberfest because in Munich they really go overboard...it's more like a carnival!

btw, did you know that the first Oktoberfest took place in 1810 in october?

3. wonderland99

wonderland99 New Member

Oktoberfest here i come

im going with a couple of friends to Munich for the first time and can't wait already! we're planing to be there a long weekend mainly drinking Steins, eating Frankfurters and Sauerkraut (yum yum), the oompah bands and, of course, wearing our lederhosens. Anyone has any tips or advice for us?

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

How exciting @wonderland99. I would say wear good shoes and have fun (don't let the crowds get you down). There are plenty of tents, so if one is too crowded, you could find another one that has plenty of room.

You'll have to report on your trip with us here after you've had the fun.

5. sophiewilson

sophiewilson New Member

Did you know that the festival was originally held to celebrate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen on October 18, 1810, today Oktoberfest in Munich is known as the largest “people’s fair†in the entire world. The festival draws over six million visitors for sixteen frenetic days of eating, drinking, and amusements. During this time, almost seven million liters of beer are knocked back!!!

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Holy cow, that's a lot of beer. And beer was averaging 11 Euros a litre this year. That's a lot of money!