One day in Arica

Discussion in 'Chile' started by beachmonkey, Jan 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. beachmonkey

beachmonkey New Member

We will be arriving in Arica on Feb.17 off a cruise ship. My wife and I are looking for a tour that would show us around Arica and the area for the day. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. marckArcj

marckArcj New Member

No need to book a tour my friend...you can easily walk to all the major attractions like El Morro, the church designed by Eiffel, Museo Antropológico San Miguel de Azapa (MASMA) (outside the city on the highway, Camino Azapa Km. 12 which runs up the Azapa valley). The MASMA is the best attraction in Arica, I think, because it has a collection of the oldest mummies in the world.

3. beachmonkey

beachmonkey New Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the places we wanted to see are close by.

4. goldsberg

goldsberg New Member

day trips from arica chile

I did a cruise cruise with my wife a few years back and some of the most memorable days there were spent in Arica. I suggest skipping the ships tour and book a private guide instead. The cruise's tour is expensive and not worth it because the big buses the cruise uses aren't able go up the winding road; whereas private guides can because they use 4x4.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Chile is on my top 10 list of places to visit. There is just so much to see with the differing landscapes, archeological sites, historical places, etc. For some additional places to visit for the day, read this helpful article for some additional places of things to see and do in Arica.

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I totally recommend, too, booking a tour. If you only have a day to visit, it makes sense to everything planned in advance. That way, you can decide what you want to do and won't have to stress out about missing what you want to do.