One day in Washington DC

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by kikk, Jan 11, 2008.

1. kikk

kikk New Member

I’ll be visiting Washington DC with my wife and like to see many of the places in one day, is it possible to visit some 7 to 8 places within one day? Car will be helpful? Can somebody help?

2. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

A car will be a hassle in Washington DC for many visitors also you don’t get parking in many of the places, so public transport is a good option to visit many places including The Lincoln Memorial, and the international spy museum, and the Air and Space Museum. The Space Museum and the International Spy Museum could both take up several hours so you may want to choose either one to visit. If you want to visit Washington Monument, then purchase your tickets on-line in advance to save time there. Hope this helps and have a nice trip!

3. Flhaus

Flhaus New Member

What are you looking for? You can go to the mall and see all of the war memorials, Lincoln and Washington Memorials, and some of the smithsonian in a day. A car can be more of a burden in DC depending on where you want to go. The DC area has a very nice metro that will take you just about anywhere for less than $3.00.
    Good luck.

4. guevara

guevara New Member

car won't be helpful in Washington DC

The car won't be helpful in Washington DC as there is always horrible traffic especially during Cherry Blossom and 4th of July time. If you don't want to walk much and want to see as much as possible in one day, your best bet would be to use the Tourmobile or the Old Town Trolley which stop at the major DC attractions.

I should mention though that both the Tourmobile or the Old Town Trolley will be stuck in traffic, but at least you'll be relaxing and enjoying the view and not having to look for parking;)

5. edi1

edi1 New Member

hop on an Old Town trolley tour

if you are only spending a day in DC, dnt bother with car rental in my opinion. Instead, it's best you hop on an Old Town trolley tour to see DC's top tourist attractions.

Trust me, the trolley tour is the best way to go because it covers a lot of ground and allows you to decide how much time you want to spend at the sites that really interest you. If I remember well trolley tour tickets cost $30 for adults and $15 for children.

6. feucho

feucho New Member

no need to book an organized tour

There is no need to book an organized tour to see the major attractions in DC. You can easily hop on the Green Line and ride it until you reach the White House where you can snap photos from afar or take a tour of the White House though you have to arrange this well in advance.

After the White House, you can hop back on back on the Green Line until you reach Stop #9 where you can transfer on to the Orange Line, which will take you to the Washington Monument, and the Air & Space Museum.

7. elrey

elrey New Member

lots to see in Washington DC

There are lots to see in Washington to be able to cover it all in one day, but I agree with the last poster that a tour of Washington DC on the trolley is the best way to cover the major sites.

What ever you do, don't drive into DC because you won't find it easy finding parking in the city, and even you do you will waste hours looking for a parking spot. DC Traffic is also horrendous on weekends, and during rush hour times...

8. Flo-rida

Flo-rida New Member

nighttime tour of Washington DC

Just to add that Tourmobile and Old Town Trolley offer nighttime tours of the memorials and the Washington Monument. I think a night tour of DC is the best way to view the historic sites in my opinion after a full day of sightseeing, it is certainly the easiest and most relaxing way to get around.

Both Tourmobile and Old Town Trolley offer narrated tours, with 10 minute-stops at the Lincoln, FDR, Vietnam Veterans, and Jefferson memorials. I am not sure about their specific fares, routes, and schedules to dat but you can check them out online.

9. adbdb

adbdb New Member

dont drive in Washington DC

There is a lot to see in Washington DC, and with heavy traffic and extremely limited parking, the best way to see the sights and make the most of your time there is with a bus tour as you will be allowed to hop on and hop off at various points. My suggestions of must sees in DC are the White House, the Capitol, the Smithsonian and Arlington National Cemetery.

I think the bus tour is about $34.95, though you can also explore Washington DC on a guided Segway tour for about $60, which is really fun!

10. orion000

orion000 New Member

cultural attractions in DC

There are lots to do in Washington, DC that you'll need to plan your trip very well. You can visit countless museums and art places such as the the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture which is home to interesting Smithsonian collections. Other places worth checking are the:

=Penn Quarter's International Spy Museum
    =The Bead Museum
    =The Torpedo Factory Arts Center
    =The National Museum of the American Indian

11. dr.flippa

dr.flippa New Member

what to see in one day in DC

A day isn't log enough to see even half of everything there is to see in DC, though don't let that disappoint you. If you plan accordingly, a lot can be accomplish if you travel during the week to avoid the crowds...first things first, you 'll want to pass initially by the Capitol, which is open Monday through Saturday, and the Supreme Court, open only on weekdays.

The U.S. Botanic Garden, and the National Gallery of Art and Sculpture Garden would be next on my list, especialy the National Gallery which has cool exhibits on sculptures, European paintings, modern artworks and so on.