Paddling the Yukon

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wanderer, Mar 18, 2014.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Do you dream of adventure far off the beaten path? Consider a paddling adventure to Kluane National Park and Reserve. It's home to Mount Logan, the highest peak in Canada, as well as the largest ice field in the world (not at the poles). The Tatshenshini River sets the stage for amazing rafting adventures--especially with the glaciers as a backdrop, as do isolated bodies of waters and lakes. The amazing place is located in the southwest corner of the Yukon Territory.

2. enemygates

enemygates New Member

This part of Canada is so underrated and Kluane Lake is an amazingly beautiful lake. I had the opportunity to visit it last year driving on the Alcan (Alaska-Canada) highway. The lake is located between Whitehorse in Canada and Chena Hot Springs (near Fairbanks, Alaska). Best to visit the lake from June thru August.

3. udontget4

udontget4 New Member

canada off the beaten path

Canada is superb for undertaking all kinds of adventures...You could bike Le P’tit Train du Nord trail, hike the Gros Morne National Park, or drive the scenic Cabot Trail through Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia.

4. Arduinerd

Arduinerd New Member

I have to agree that Luane Lake is amazingly beautiful. I recently drove from Oregon to Alaska, and this area of the drive was absolutely breathtaking.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Arduinerd, That sounds like an amazing drive! It must have taken forever to drive that far, but I bet it was so pretty. How long did it take to drive through the Yukon? We had some friends who went to a conference in Seattle and they had a day off. They wanted to drive to Alaska...until someone told them they'd have a long way to drive through Canada! :)

[​IMG]
    Yukon River. Photo: Wikipedia / Tobias Klenze

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

The Cabot Trail is just lovely too. What a great suggestion to head to Nova Scotia. I love how dramatic the coastline looks like along the trail, and at Gros Morne, I love how green the grass is. It feels like nature at its best, you know?

[​IMG]

Arctic Hare at Gros Morne National Park. Photo: Gilad.rom.

7. FionaRichards

FionaRichards New Member

That looks amazing! Heaven on earth.. Sigh.. :)