Paris food expensive?

Discussion in 'France' started by potterover, Nov 8, 2010.

1. potterover

potterover New Member

Is Paris food everything is meant to be cracked up to be and very expensive?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

The short answer is yes, but don't worry you won't need to re-mortgage your house to eat in Paris. Paris food is expensive but so it's Europe overall.

In Paris, just like anywhere, there are very expensive places and not so expensive places to eat out. Either way the good thing about restaurants in Paris is that they post their menus and prices outside of the restaurant so you can make your mind up before venturing inside.

I think, Louvre food court is one of the best places to eat out in Paris on a budget. If you do go to a restaurant, do ask for tap water, that way you'll save a few Euros.

Overall, avoid the touristy areas and head into the back streets of Paris, that's where great and cheap food can be found.

3. bmd

bmd Guest

I concur with the above reply. Parisian dining is pretty expensive compared to our American standards, even McDonald's is much more expensive over there than it is here; I just grabbed a small meal, not even the whole thing, and I was handed a bill for about $20, so I'd say that's a little more than what you could expect to pay here, but at other restaurants we got two meals for about the same price (slightly more than $20) with coffee and everything, so take a look at the menus before you walk in, and you should be fine. On the flip side of that 'expensive' coin, if you're dining at a lot of the local eateries, which are very charming and worth the experience alone, you'll still be paying a bit more than what you might expect to pay in a similar establishment in the States, but don't worry, it isn't as if you're going to spend your entire travel budget on meals, unless you intend to be eating all the time. It's reasonable enough to eat sufficient meals and still have a little skrill left over for souvenirs and entertainment and tours or whatever. My advice is to plan ahead and give yourself a buffer for unexpected expenses for any trip to any destination, even if it is on a budget.

4. Elle

Elle New Member

We went Paris 2003 after 9monts traveling. Food was so expensive, we ended up buy our food from supermarkets..

5. megatron2

megatron2 New Member

eating out in Paris

don't think that food is more expensive in Paris than lets say London and Rome...Honestly, it's not too terribly expensive to eat in Paris if you know where to go. Also, the menus are posted outside the restaurants so you can check out the selections and prices) before you go in. Do watch out if a waiter asks if you want a salad or bread...they're extra and pricey...

6. whatyagona

whatyagona New Member

cheap eateries in Paris

Paris is one of the most touristy places on earth so attractions and eating out would be expensive...but that's the same with any touristy destination. I also agree with the last poster that Paris isn't anymore expensive than NY or LA. You can spend as much as 30 EUR in a restaurant in Paris which may be too much on some people's pockets...if you're tight on budget try ethnic eateries as they would be the cheapest places to eat in Paris.

7. janeparker991

janeparker991 New Member

It depends on where you wiil buy food. If at restaurants there is very expensive food. At small shops the food is cheap.

8. amiramo

amiramo New Member

food in paris is definetlyyy expensive but worth it, i'd suggest treating urself to a few of the more expensive restaurants, but the rest of the trip like buy stuff from the supermarkets and bakeries that are NOT close to tourist attractions, and ask the local people where they eat and buy stuff from

and someone posted above about tap water, totally agree with that, and everywhere u go just fill ur water bottle from taps, because u'll end up spending alot on that, (even the french do that)

9. myas

myas New Member

how about some famous restaurants in Paris?

10. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Yes and no. It's a city, so everything is expensive. But you have so many choices, you don't have to pick the fancy restaurants. We had a great meal at this off-the-beaten path Greek restaurant. Who would have thought that the best Greek food would be in Paris?

There is a restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, but I'm not sure what it's called.

11. Lkay

Lkay New Member

It depends on where you're comparing it to. I'd say that London may be more expensive. I stayed with friends who live in Paris last year and they knew where to go to find less pricey, filling meals. Like anywhere, you just need to look around.

12. AvaC

AvaC New Member

Paris is expensive, but if you like baguette and sitting on the park you can save so much money by having nice little pick-nicks in the parks.

13. Marc123

Marc123 New Member

In france, all prices include the service, water is free everywhere you go. You always know before what you'll pay.

14. jackjordan

jackjordan New Member

Mostly tourist are visited in France. Paris is very famous and exotic destination of France. Yes, Paris is an expensive city as compare to another cities of France. Last year I was in France and stayed there around 8 days. And total expense of this trip was EUR 900.

15. Wanderled

Wanderled New Member

Paris is expensive if you eat out twice a day. Instead, get a baguette, meat, cheese and have lunch in a park. There's also inexpensive street food, like a falafel in Le Marais, that is tasty and filling.

Colin
    Writer for Wanderled