Planning a trip to Germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by TashaRose, Jun 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TashaRose

TashaRose Guest

So, my boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Germany in January. We are flying into Berlin, where we will be staying. Our plans are to go to Poland to visit Auschwitz, but so far have only found a 5 day rail pass...is there any other way we can get a one day pass? Also, anyone have any suggestions, as to where to go...places of interest, for shopping and site seeing in Berlin? Or anywhere close at that?

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi there,

I checked out Eurail and RailEurope and they seem to offer mostly 5 days and upwards passes. As you are after a one day pass, you can purchase this when you arrive to Berlin.

In terms of attractions, Berlin has many popular museums as well as the popular Potsdamer Platz Arcades where you can do plenty of shopping.

The Berlin Wall is another top attraction although there isn"t terribly much left of the structure but the Brandenburg Gate still stands. If you want a better understanding of the history behind the wall, you should visit the Berlin Wall Museum in Berlin.

Berlin sightseeing tours are available, although I would suggest exploring Berlin on your own as buses run throughout the city and are certainly a cheaper option than a guided tour.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

3. TashaRose

TashaRose Guest

Do you guys think it would be cheaper going through say something like Expedia and other places such as those or through a travel agent?

4. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi again,

I personally think, online travel agencies such as expedia, orbitz, etc; are certainly a convenient way to make your travel arrangements as you can search for deals.

Also, since last month online travel agencies have decided to dump booking fees on airline tickets purchased through their site.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

5. TashaRose

TashaRose Guest

Do any of you have any suggestions as to which places to go out and eat? I was doing some research but I really need to learn a little bit of german haha! Any suggestions will help, the more affordable the better!

6. Ruby

Ruby Guest

hi there,

If you are looking for inexpensive places to eat out, there are lots of good cafes and restaurants in the Kreuzberg, Prenzlauerberg and Friedrichshain area. Some good restaurants I know of are the Alpha, Absinth and Alte Dorfschmiede.

7. toursdeworld

toursdeworld New Member

You can also make a visit to Triberg in southern Germany, in the middle of black forest, which will be a perfect destination for you two. Various places of interests and affordable accommodation places are available.