Private charter vs commercial airline

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Vicolette, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Doing a little research on private charters, it seems this would be an ideal way to travel especially for a group going to a destination wedding, family reunion, etc. Has anyone traveled via private charter and if so, what where the benefits/advantages and was it worth the price? Thanks for any info.

2. dinoHadzic22

dinoHadzic22 New Member

private charter wins for me

I think a private jet aircraft makes economic sense to some people, particularly business travelers who fly more than 60 hours a year. If I could afford it, I'd buy a seat on a chartered jet and fly that way everywhere. Commercial flights are really getting so annoying because of the TSA and customer service on planes.

3. MarioWario

MarioWario New Member

I always wondered how cool it would be to fly on a private jet but always thought it was too expensive. I didn't realize that you can buy a seat and not hire the entire jet aircraft. so, do most jet plane companies allow you to share the plane with other people you don't know? also, what are the costs of hiring a private jet?

4. dinoHadzic22

dinoHadzic22 New Member

last I heard is that ratesdepend on passenger numbers, how far you need to fly and the typeof aircraft being chartered. In all, you can exoect to pay something in the region of of $1,500 per hour to $15,000 per hour. Apparently, there are many fees associated with chartering a jet plane like aircraft positioning fees (whatever that means), empty leg fees, landing fees, departure taxes, etc. Honestly, you have to be fairly rich to hire one of this planes...:(

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I didn't know about single empty seat reservations but it makes sense for charter companies to offer deals. Did a little checking at Lucky Jets and see some decent prices for travelers opting for private charter.