Puerto Rico the 51st state?

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by yurlips, Feb 19, 2013.

1. yurlips

yurlips New Member

Apparently, Puerto Ricans want to become the 51st state of the US. What are your thoughts? Me personally, I don't see the point since there are more Puerto Ricans in the US than in Puerto Rico anyways. Also, Pr is already territory of the US and uses the dollar already. Do you think other US territories will follow after the footsteps of PR if they are granted to be the 51st state?

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

They've been talking about this for a long time, and it often loses in the popular vote. I think the citizens feel like they already have a pretty good deal and don't need to be a state. I think it would be really exciting to have more than 50 states and get a new flag if Puerto Rico becomes the new state. I think they make more sense than some of the far-away properties like Guam or Samoa.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I think you're right on about the other territories. If Puerto Rico becomes a state, you're much more likely to see the rest become a state. It would be interesting to see what that would do to the balance of power in Congress and the presidential elections!

4. Wanderled

Wanderled New Member

This has been an issue for awhile, and it seems like they always break 50/50. Most Puerto Ricans are comfortable with the situation as it is now and don't feel that they need to become a state or have the right to vote. They already get a lot of benefits. Also, the territory itself and their culture is so different from that of any of the United States (even Hawaii) that I think it would be difficult to make the transition. Although English is widely spoken, many don't know it and everyone speaks Spanish. However, since recently they've been more in favor of becoming a state, I think that if it does become one, other territories will follow. It seems like it would be a hassle to change the American flag among other things, though.
    Best,
    Sasha