pyramids unearthed in Sudan

Discussion in 'Egypt' started by wanderer, Feb 7, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Now that the conflict is starting to wane in Sudan (the country just to the east of Egypt), there's more of a chance for archaeologists to get to work. They've made a really fascinating discovery in a desert in southern Sudan. They've found 35 ancient pyramids buried in the sand. They're about the size of a basketball court and date back some 2,000 years to the kingdom of Kush. At the time, Kush shared a border with Rome's African outposts.

2. WAporter

WAporter New Member

35 ancient pyramids unearthed in Sudan

Just when you think you're told everything about everything, somehow they keep discovering new things on this planet earth. Why go all the way to the moon when we dont even know what there is on our own backyard. Glad to hear this discovery has been announced since it shades even more light on Africa's rich heritage and history.

3. jigaPatel

jigaPatel New Member

Apparently, they were discovered between 2009 and 2012, which really begs the question: how were they missed for so long? I can't believe, the pyramids date back more than 2,000 years..I am wondering if these pyramids in Sudan are the birth place of pyramid-building in Africa.

4. gerreroJ

gerreroJ New Member

Here we go again with so called "discoveries"...I am not being funny, but did anyone ask the people of Sudan? I'm sure they already knew about the existence of these pyramids. I guess, as an archeologists it's not the same asking people...it's best to pretend you discovered them to later claim a stake of them...just my few cents.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I read the report about the pyramids and tombs that have been unearthed in this ongoing project in Sedeinga since 2009. Interesting how so many pyramids are condensed into such small areas.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It probably has a lot to do with Sudan's remoteness and the ongoing conflict there. In fact, the entire country broke into two in 2011 with the creation of South Sudan. I suspect the locals did already know about the pyramids, but the archaeologists did their work and make it public.