river cruising vs ocean crusing

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by AmazingGrace, Jan 16, 2014.

1. AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace New Member

Personally, I prefer river cruise because they have less crowds and offer less hassles than giant ships at sea. Saying this, the ocean experience is really a must. I say ocean cruising is worth doing at least once. What's your preference: river cruising or ocean crusing? pros and cons

2. marckArcj

marckArcj New Member

the thing i fear the most about cruising in the ocean is getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. At least on a river cruise, you're never too far from everything. Also, i think ocean sailing may get boring after 3 days of just seeing sea and being cooked up inside a cabin.

3. Gerinimo90

Gerinimo90 New Member

To be honest, one cant really compare ocean and river cruising. I would do both if you have the opportunity, especially ocean cruising which can be really amazing when done right. 7-10 day ocean cruises are just about right. Any longer than that and ocean cruising becomes monotonous.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

One of the pros about a river cruise is visiting the world's major cities. Amsterdam, for instance, would be really hard to see on a giant ship. And many of the river cruise routes visits a bunch of cities at once. If you're into culture and want to visit many countries at once, you'll want to go with the river cruise lines. But then again, I think of a lot of pluses for ocean cruises. There's the sun, all the activities, the endless food. There's a whole lot more to do on the ship.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I'd take a river cruise over an ocean cruise any time. Whenever I see ads for Viking River cruises on PBS, I'm ready to pack a bag an head out. Ocean cruises have a lot to offer including crowds of people. Not my thing. I'd love to book a cruise along the Seine or the Danube.