Safe places to travel in Africa

Discussion in 'Algeria' started by wanderer, Mar 5, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

What are some of the safe places to travel in Africa right now? I was just chatting with some co-workers today, and we're not sure about what are the safest destinations in Africa.

2. ElCamono

ElCamono New Member

where's safe?

that's true, but what do you mean by safe? it's hard to know where to go anywhere in the world that's 100% safe and that includes Europe and North America. If it's not civil unrest or government crack downs in one part of the world, it's tornadoes or earthquakes in another. Even on a cruise, you aren't much safer...look what happened to the Costa Concordia.

3. bit-less

bit-less New Member

All African countries have a lot of culture and beauty but it's a pity that some are unstable because of war. I personally going to places in East Africa such as Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique for safaris and that kind of thing. For culture, I'd would say go to Ghana, Senegal, Egypt, Morocco, Gabon, Botswana or Zambia.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Excellent point @ElComono. You do never know when disaster will strike. And thank you for your suggestions @bit-less. I know there are so many treasures to discover in Africa.

5. honestjonh1

honestjonh1 New Member

travel in Africa

Africa as a whole does a get a negative rap on the media that im not surprise some people would think the worse when talking about the continent. I dont know much about Africa travel but South Africa is meant to be okay for what I hear but then again without actually going there I couldn't say for sure.

6. MisterP

MisterP New Member

Re: travel in Africa

I believe that South Africa has a very high rate of violent crime..i think it's even worse than in the States which is mind boggling! I dont think Africa is a place you can just venture out by yourself - not because of the civilians - but because of the unrest caused by corrupt puppet regimes and greedy governments doing deals with out governments...you dont have to look further than Egypt, Uganda, South Africa, etc

7. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

South Africa is one country I'd like to visit. The vineyards along the Garden Route, safari tours of Kruger, hiking through the mountains or sunbathing on the beach. The country has something for everyone but yes, safety would be something to consider before heading out on your own. A tour group might be a better option.

8. shalni12

shalni12 New Member

The poll below reflect my candidates for safest countries to visit in Africa. My idea of 'safe' means I'd travel there alone; I would be careful about my personal belongings but I'd never really fear for my physical safety. Basically, I'd be relaxed enough to enjoy my vacation and get to know the people and the country.

9. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

If you're worried about safety...try traveling with an organized group. A professional tour planner could get your back and they're more likely to have vetted the hotels and places you visit.