safe to drive in Colombia

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by mplr34, Mar 25, 2013.

1. mplr34

mplr34 New Member

Against what most people will tell you, Colombia is a pretty safe to drive even for a tourist. Just last September I traveled there with a few friends and had a great experience driving from Medellin, Cartagena and Bogota. By the way, you can't use dollars in Colombia and you can’t change dollars in banks neither. Remember to get some pesos at the airport before you head into Medellín;)

2. masive67

masive67 New Member

Colombia has to be one of the south american countries with the worst undeserved reputation...you're most likely going to die of a car crash there than being kidnapped. I have driven extensively around Colombia without any issues. Colombians will make you feel quite welcome everywhere you go;)

3. ebachpakl

ebachpakl New Member

hire driver in Colombia

I agree but it's always a good idea to have someone local taking you places. You can easily hire a taxi driver with your hotel or villa you stay. Prices range from 350 ($25) to 650 (~$52) pesos for a whole day. Trust me, you'll feel a lot safer having a local drive around...not that Colombia is more dangerous than the states but just saying;)

4. aqualing

aqualing New Member

Dont mean to knock this idea of hiring a driver but I would not hire just any driver that wasn't recommended to me because you could easily be set up to be robbed or even worse. Like the last poster said, do go thru your hotel when hiring a driver. Even better, find out what driver other tourists are hiring. Good luck;)