safe to travel to tunisia now?

Discussion in 'Tunisia' started by Fallout-boyi, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Fallout-boyi

Fallout-boyi New Member

Im hearing reports of unrest in Tunisia...is the violence spreading to tourist areas, is it still safe to travel to Tunisia at the moment?

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

I´m not currently in Tunisia so I have no first-hand account for you. However, the BBC reports that Thomas Cook is flying all its customers in Tunisia back home today. Thomas Cook has also cancelled its next flights out to Tunisia, so I guess that would tell you something.

By the way, I know of tourists being there now who don't fear for their life, or feel that their hotel will be overrun by hordes of people. Having said this, I would recommend not travelling for at least a month, and if you do, do monitor the situation. Good luck!

3. Powercharger

Powercharger New Member

unrest was mostly in central Tunis

hey everyone, just wanted to post some updates...I came back from Tunisia a few months back, and tourist areas felt safe then...the unrest was mostly in central Tunis but I wasn't worried about my hotel being overrun by hordes of people. The danger in Tunisia now is that the country is facing a constant threat of a coup so, with that said I would worry about about not being able to leave the country in an emergency..just some thoughts:)

4. WaxxPoetic

WaxxPoetic New Member

latest UK government travel advice

i checked the latest UK government travel advice for Tunisia and BBC reports and you're not advised to fly there now...UK tour operators have flown all of their customers in Tunisia back home and have cancelled their flights out to Tunisia so that tells you a lot!.