safety advice in Czech

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by 56jiop, Aug 4, 2009.

1. 56jiop

56jiop New Member

hiya, has anyone traveled to Czech Rep. lately? can you advice on safety tips and what areas to avoid in Czech? thanks

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

hi there,

Beware of pickpockets especially at crowded places like the Charles Bridge, Town Hall Square, Wenceslas Square and various concert halls where pickpockets are very common there.

A couple of safety tips in Czech Republic:

- Don't carry your traveling bag behind your back but carry it in front of you so that you are aware of what is going on in front of you.

- Don't put all your money in the wallet but bring only enough money for the day.

- Leave your passport at the hotel safe deposit boxes.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

3. SincereXX

SincereXX New Member

Western Europe may be seemed as a safe place to travel...safer than, say, Thailand but dont be deceived. Right now with the economy, wars, etc, europe is a bit of a hostile place particularly for foreigners, immigrants and tourists. I have been to Czech and mostly around in Eastern Europe and it isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be. Mostly in the Czech you have to worry about scams, pickpocketers, etc

4. Notgibenin

Notgibenin New Member

people in Europe

not sure about the countryside but Prague is lovely and felt very safe at night. However, what i would say is the culture is very different to places like England or america where politeness is over the top. If you're used to "excuse me", "sorry" you can forget that in the Czech or Europe for that matter. People on this parts of the world wont bow down to you just because you speak English.

5. bornedWild!

bornedWild! New Member

experiences in Europe

lol tell me about it...it's no joke that so many tourists are unaware of this. You will get the impression that people are rude when ordering from shop's counters and ticket information centers, though they're not they're just being honest. Some people may even feel insulted if you speak to them in English language so don't assume everyone will be happy to hear your English accent;)

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It would be helpful to know some of the basic words in Czech. I can't say I'm an expert, but I did find a list of them with pronunciations at locallingo.com.

And of course, where ever you go, pay attention and don't be stupid. Kindness goes far in any language.