Safety in Bolivia

Discussion in 'Bolivia' started by fmica, Aug 9, 2006.

1. fmica

fmica Guest

Hi!

I've heard that there have been a lot of trouble with foreign people traveling within La Paz, Sucre and Copacabana. We've been told it could be VERY UNSAFE (kidnapping and murder of tourists). Who has been there recently and what are your experiences?? Will you be more safe if you hire a local guide in the cities??Are there any precautions I need to take as someone from the US?

2. d360

d360 Administrator

I would say Bolivia is a medium to high crime threat country. The common things you'll see are street crime, such as pick pocketing and theft from parked vehicles.

I had an incident happen while at a Bolivian Festival as I was walking down the street someone bumped me in front and slipped their hand in my front pocket and grabbed my wallet. I learned a good lesson! put something on top of your wallet so they grab a wad of whatever. Something written in Spanish thats mocks them may be a bonus.

Just watch yourself on dark lonely streets and also in high crowding situations. Try keeping some distance from you a perp. Overall travelers should take appropriate precautions to avoid being victimized.

Bolivia is a wonderful country and I'd highly recommend it. It not on the top of the tourist circuit so you'll be sure to experience some unique places that are mostly untouched.

Dan

3. Richard Leon

Richard Leon New Member

As fmica said, Bolivia is one of the poorest countries in South America and there is social unrest with the local governmnt, and it is by all means best and reccomended to go with an expert tour company which will keep you out of any danger zone while still enjoying the beauty of this country.

The best trips in Bolivia is Las Paz and the unreal Uyuni. The link below as more informaton on Uyuni and Bolivia in general. The company, Peru for Less, really does a good job and great prices with Boliva packages.

http://www.peruforless.com/destinations/destinations_bol-uyuni.htm

Ric

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Travel safety in Bolivia is a concern, but other places of are more concern. I just checked the State Department warnings at the their website and did not see one for Bolivia. But that said, still use common sense. It does help to travel with a guide or a professional company. You also are safer sticking to the resorts and other touristy areas.

5. abercrombiekent

abercrombiekent New Member

Hi Friends,

I learned a good lesson! put something on top of your wallet so they grab a wad of whatever.It does help to travel with a guide or a professional company. You also are safer sticking to the resorts and other touristy areas.The common things you'll see are street crime, such as pick pocketing and theft from parked vehicles.