Seven Wonders of the World

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by wanderer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Making lists is not a new phenomenon. The travelers of antiquity complied a list of the seven wonders of the world:

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
    Statue of Zeus at Olympia
    Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
    Colossus of Rhodes
    Lighthouse of Alexandria
    and the only one that remains largely intact: the Great Pyramid of Giza

New lists are being made all the time. What would you put on this list?

2. pelotaMadera

pelotaMadera New Member

Lists are always so subjective but I would definitely add these ones to the list....they're so underrated!

The Great Wall of China
    Hagia Sophia
    Taj Mahal
    Chichen Itza
    Old City of Jerusalem
    Grand Canyon

3. OportoKL

OportoKL New Member

everyone has their own

Great Wall of China (yes) but Grand Canyon? It's more a natural wonder than a man-made one. I think wanderer's list is more like the ancient Greek wonders which are only places the ancient Greeks knew about. Of course every man and his dog since then have tried to come up with their own lists.

4. Klairport

Klairport New Member

Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

Let me see...the Great Pyramid, the Colossus of Rhodes, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon... hmmm. After that I wouldn't know what else to add but I'm pretty sure wanderer's list is the one I knew as a kid that was taught in schools.

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

That's the fun of lists. You get to debate. I couldn't remember anything past the gardens, colossus, and the pyramids. I can't say I've ever heard of the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus.

6. holidayguy

holidayguy New Member

I've always kept my mouth wide open watching the great piece of art done on the Taj mahal..Its indeed a priceless monument which is built by the great emperor Shajahan,on behalf of his true love for his wife...how sweet!!!