Shard skyscraper observation deck opens

Discussion in 'UK' started by wanderer, Feb 7, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

The Shard changed the London landscape when it opened, and now its observation deck is making the building accessible to the public.It costs £24.95 (18.95 for kids) to see the views, which can be up to 40 miles on a clear day. The deck of the The Shard actually covers three levels and it only takes 60 seconds to get up there!

2. azchive4

azchive4 New Member

Shard observation deck is a rip off

Wow, that's like nearly $40! I am surprised they charge that much when you can go the Vertigo 42 bar which is over 600ft. I dont think I'll visit the shard deck on my next visit to London when I can go the Vertigo 42 bar, which is free if you are getting a drink in the bar.

3. jobiland

jobiland New Member

£25 to look out of a window?

I live in London and I can tell you most Londoners aren't too happy with the price tag of £25 to go up the Shard, just to look over London. I guess, just like all attractions in London they're marketed towards tourists, but If I met a tourist I'd tell them to stay clear of the Shard.

4. sleelyfope

sleelyfope New Member

western Europe's tallest tower

what's interesting about the Shard is that it's majority owned by Qatar so it was not built using tax-payers money. Now I know why I kept seeing so much resemblance between the Shard and Qatary sky scrapers. Saying this, the Shard really looks stunning by looking at the pictures of it.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Oh, I hadn't done conversion to dollars. That is a little on the high side, I think, but I would do it as a tourist. It's about what it costs to see the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago.That's $23.50 for admission. I don't want to call it the Willis Tower even though that's what it's called now. ;)

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I wouldn't have a problem paying that. I know that it's expensive to do anything in London....I don't think there's a time limit up there, so you can get your money's worth when you visit the top of London.

7. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. When we started discussing The Shard in another thread back in March, the deck was scheduled to open this February. Glad to hear the opening took place on time. It is one awesome building and one I'd like to visit just for the views!