South Africa parks

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by bmkYU, Jul 9, 2009.

1. bmkYU

bmkYU New Member

hello, we're planning a safari to south Africa next month and i was wondering what wildlife parks offer the best for a safari?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

hi there,

Kruger National Park is one of the best places to see wildlife on a South African safari and it's only a one hour flight from Johannesburg.

The best way to see Kruger park is to stay a few nights in one of the Kruger National Park accommodations and book an expert tracker who will take you right up to wild animals such as lions, giraffes, etc.

3. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

My 2 week South African adventure-March 2009

I can tell you that in just one day of touring with a guide in Kruger was the highlight of my trip. I saw 4 of the big 5 and most were VERY close encounters. Kruger has it all and they are set to expand their boundaries even further in the next few years.

I also did Pilanesburg and I am glad I did because the terrain was different and I saw other things and animals that I missed in Kruger.

Here's an excerpt from my blog from my time in and around Kruger.

Close to nature, close to Kruger---Panzi Bush Camp in the Limpopo Province of northeastern South Africa.
    I spent 2 nights at the Panzi Bushcamp and can't say enough about the great hosts--Bev, John & Glynn, originally from England.

They were wonderful hosts with Bev being masterful in the kitchen and serving great meals, John handling "braii" or BBQ duties with a genuine South African flavor, and Glynn taking me on a great nature hike to a nearby elevated "lookout" over a waterhole with great scenic views plus a late evening game drive through the large compound areas where I saw giraffe (nature's gardeners), wart hogs, zebra, wildebeest, impala, cape buffalo and I just missed a leopard on the property.

Panzi means "down" and describes the Bushcamp in the low hollow area of the Guernsey Conservancy area. It is closest to the Buckbrushridge area and less than 1 hour from the Orpen Gate to the wonderful Kruger National Park (100% driving only thru the park).

Access to the bushcamp means a 45 minute off the main road for a trip down a unimproved dirt road to the camp's main guarded and gated security entrance and then another short drive to the camp's entrance on a game-drive road to another gate where guests then traverse over a suspension bridge and indigenous wooded gully to get to the main, open-air, lodge which houses a stocked bar, TV, couches, and dining tables.

The afternoon I arrived there was time for a welcome drink and then off for a late afternoon/early evening gamedrive before returning to a delicious dinner and drinks. The camp is quiet and a perfect place to enjoy the sights and sounds of nature.

The individual "tent-lodges" are fully self-contained and complete with one electrical outlet, fan, 2 twin beds, mosquito bed nets, reading lights, and an open, but 3/4 enclosed attached, outdoor bathroom with regular toilet, washbasin, and (hot water) shower. All the tent-lodges are accessed by wooden-slat walkways and have wood bases, wood floors and siding with thatched roofs.

I spent most of my next 2nd day inside Kruger Park (see my other entries) before returning to Panzi for another excellent dinner prepared by Bev and John and the following morning before the trip back to Johannesburg, Glynn provided a opportunity for a short Bushwalk to an elevated lookout he built that offered a nice view of a waterhole and the surrounding mountain ranges.

CAUTION: Glynn (thankfully) checked a fold-up chair for me before I sat in it and shook out a small scorpion. There are insects and bugs that should prompt one to look before sitting, touching, etc.

NOTE: Don't figure exact times for distances unless it is on a major road. Many roads can be slow-going for a variety of reasons. Many roads are modern and major highways allow for easy transit but side roads can be 1-2 lanes, be chock-full of potholes and washouts, and may even be impassable in rainy seasons.
    Panzi has 16 beds in different fortified thatched "tent-like" setting with each accommodation separate from the others and reached by wooden walkways.

The camp offers:
    Bush walks, game drives, a pool, sundowner drives, bird/frog/insect watching, & pure relaxation in a natural setting.
    There is also available:
    Microlight safaris, hot air ballooning, white water rafting & tubing (in season), day trips to Kruger National Park (about 45 minutes to Orpen Gate & 90 minutes to Phalaborwa, panoramic route tours of the area, Moholoholo Rehabilition Center, Hoedspruit Cheetah Project and Big 5 game drives.

Panzi is located offroad & east of R40 south of Hoedspruit & northeast of Klaserie and West of the Orpen Gate to Kruger National Park which is on the west-central side in Limpopo Province & Guernsey Conservancy. Their contact info is:
    Email: panzi@mweb.co.za Website: www.panzibushcamp.co.za Phone: 082 751 2000

4. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

Hi bmkYU,

South Africa offers countless safari attractions and the most popular places of African safari holidays are Eastern Cape & Kruger park. Few years back we did a Eastern Cape Safari tour combined Cape town visit. Also the Zululand safari region which is located in the east coast of South Africa is also a popular place for African safaris and you can explore a wide variety of wild animals. Budget safari packages are available for South Africa's popular Kruger National Park, so choose one among them and explore the absolute beauty of the African wild animals. Have nice African safari holidays :)