Southwest $40 fee

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Jan 29, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Southwest is joining the party in charging you more to fly. Southwest was sitting out the party, gaining loyal fans in the process. This $40 fee is to guarantee you a spot in the first wave of boarding...so you can have a good selection of seats.

Would you pay for this privileged?

2. Dwele

Dwele New Member

Southwest Airlines Adds $40 fee for early boarding

Sweet jesus! when is all this madness gonna stop? I am not surprised though since all airline carriers are on the same page when it comes to charging additional fees for everything from priority boarding to guaranteed seats next to your kids. Would I pay for this privilege? Well, I don't fly anymore...

3. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

That's too bad. This doesn't seem like a good road to follow when folks are searching left and right for deals to save money and will, most likely, go with a company that offers some savings. Seems that by joining the rest of the group, they've done nothing to set themselves apart from the rest. Not a good marketing move, imo. No, I wouldn't pay for the fee. If I buy a ticket, I should know I have a seat, no matter what. I can dream.

4. jolr34

jolr34 New Member

Southwest introduces $40 fee

I stopped flying Southwest a long time ago because I was getting annoyed of their seats not being assigned to passengers. Having said this, I would probably pay $40 to fly again with them so I can board my flight early and get a seat. Does anyone know how this works? is it like EarlyBird check-in?

5. Danny

Danny Moderator

how does the $40 early boarding fee work?

I too thought that it is the same as the earlybird check in but it's not apparently. The difference is that when booking through earlybird check-in, you are only checked into your flight 36 hours prior to your flight but a seat will not be guaranteed. With the $40 fee, you pay it on the spot to the gate agent and get to choose a seat 45 minutes prior to departure.