St Patrick’s Day Pub Parade

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by wanderer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

One of the best places to celebrate St. Patrick's Day is, of course, Brookings South Dakota, thanks to the St Patrick’s Day Pub Parade. The big celebration, held annually the weekend after March 17, is also called Spring Hobo Day (because it bears a resemblance to South Dakota State's fall homecoming called Hobo Day).

2. Ola()

Ola() New Member

I always disliked the name Hobo Day...i think it's so offensive. Also, im glad students aren't dressing up as hobos and bums..luckily, someone saw sense and ultimately dropped Hobo Day from their homecoming celebrations.

3. JordiCruz

JordiCruz New Member

last year's theme for the parade in Brookings was "night of the living hobos and it was real cool, though it was a pretty typical Hobo Day parade. The rowd on hand was great, the bands, convertibles, zombies, Miss Homelycoming, etc. Here are some random pics.

Attached Files:

4. rockafellows

rockafellows New Member

drop the words "pub crawl"

it looks like the Brookings council is looking to turn around St Paddy's day and give the parade a better reputation than it has at the moment by paying for security and Porta-Potties this year. I reckon they could start by dropping the words "pub crawl" if they really want to solve the drunken issue. what do you guys think?

5. Ola()

Ola() New Member

Re: St Paddie’s Day Pub Parade

apparently (i read) the big issue they're having was who was going to pay for Porta-Potties and whether the city should help pay for rental of the portable toilets. the funny thing is that the target audience of the parade is the South Dakota State University student population.

6. LordoftheMings

LordoftheMings New Member

I dont see why they would want to drop the words “pub crawl"...when you think about it most people are so intoxicated by the end of the day they’re literally crawling to the final bars on the route(lol).