Staying in a French castle

Discussion in 'France' started by Vicolette, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Hotels are great, bed and breakfasts are my favorite, but staying in a castle would be a fantasy come true. Many castles have rooms, apartments and cottages for rent for short stays. Can anyone who has actually stayed in a real castle share the experience? I've added staying in a Scottish, Irish, English and French castle to my wish list!

2. Xavier3

Xavier3 New Member

staying in a real castle

I stayed at the Castello Vicchiomaggio (in Chianti Italy) with my hubby and the experience was amazing...our room was huge and the bedroom furniture was antique solid wood bed and cabinets. Not sure if this place classifies as a real castle but I do remember the windows-benches being cut into the stone walls like a medieval castle..

3. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Oh my, that sounds lovely! So much history, architecture and historical places to see in Italy and to stay in vintage accommodations just adds to the experience!

4. Kidtonto

Kidtonto New Member

staying in a real castle

yep, staying in a real castle is the experience of a lifetime! I know French castles are very popular but you can stay in a real castle anywhere in Europe. Wales, Ireland, Estonia are some places. I's suggest staying at Gwydir castle, Brecon Castle, Ruthin Castle in Wales or Ashford Castle and Dromoland Castle in Ireland.

5. mdavid

mdavid New Member

Oh that must have been an amazing Xavier! We would love it if you could share some snaps with us all :) And do you know whether all castles allow rooms on rent ? and is it only for couples or also for solo travellers?