Submarine tour of the Great Barrier Reef

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Vicolette, May 12, 2013.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I just found this new tour option and it is one I'd like to take. Two passengers along with a pilot explore the Great Barrier Reef via a mini yellow submarine. Too cool. The company operates from Fitzroy Island accessible by ferry. Different packages are available. The dive takes about 20 minutes at approximately 40 metres/131 feet. How many of you would be up to taking this dive?

2. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That sounds really amazing! This would be a good way to do some diving without having to get wet or spend a lot of time in training. Does the pilot do the work and the passengers just sit back and enjoy? If so if would totally try one of the different things to do in Australia.

3. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Yes, there's a short training session on how to enter the submarine then the pilot begins the tour providing commentary along the way. Each seat has it own window, so you get an up-close view. I'd definitely do this over scuba diving !

4. Reaching44

Reaching44 New Member

The Great barrier reef was such an unforgettable experience..I still think about it even after a year on. I would advice anyone wanting to do the barrier reef tour to get your PADI certificate for diving because if its choppy weather the day of the tour, it'd be hard to snorkel.

5. victorbritts

victorbritts New Member

Its amazing. Thanks for sharing this idea of spending holiday in unique way.

6. JMM2

JMM2 New Member

the submarine tour is great for non-swimmers as you get to see marine life through the glass bottom. However, if you really want to enjoy truly the Great Barrier Reef you really want to do a dive or snorkel trip. Honestly, you will regret not doing this when you get back home;)

7. magnusiax

magnusiax New Member

Australia is a nice place when talking about beaches and surfing. Just be-careful with the sharks.