Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Florida' started by wanderer, Feb 13, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Attention bird watchers! The Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary in Indian Shores, (on the Gulf side) is an excellent place to visit. Every year, the conservation group helps some 10,000 birds get a new lease on life. The Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary is open every day of the year.

What's your favorite birding site?

2. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Living in Florida on the Gulf side, I'd say the Suncoast Seabird folks do an outstanding job at the sanctuary. A couple of places I enjoy bird watching is the free-flight aviary at Lowry Park Zoo and watching the birds dive, swoop, swim and frolic along the fishing and beach area on Gandy Beach which runs alongside the Gandy Bridge.

3. marckArcj

marckArcj New Member

Best thing about this place is that it's free! I'm surprised the amount of different birds you can get to see. I visit the sanctuary every week during my weekly walk from North Reddington Beach up the beach to Suncoast. I hope they keep this place running as it is, and best of all, free of charge;)

4. Jimmi2

Jimmi2 New Member

It's free to enter but be sure you give a small donation. Best time to visit the Suncoast sanctuary is Spring. During March and April, you can see birds nesting and you can watch the babies mature. Evenings are especially good for photos as many birds come in to roost for the night.