Takayama Autumn Festival

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Vicolette, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

One of Japan's top festivals takes place October 9 and 10. The Takayama Autumn Festival is an exciting two days of colorful costumes, puppets, and intricate floats featured in the festival. Following on October 22 in Kyoto , the Kurama Fire Festival lights up the night sky as participants walk through the city dressed in traditional costumes carrying torches.

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I just love autumn festivals! I usually go to harvest/Oktoberfest type celebrations. It would be cool to experience these festivals. Do any communities outside of Japan celebrate fire festivals?

3. mplr34

mplr34 New Member

Takayama: autumn festival vs spring festival

I'm planning to visit Japan with a few friends in April and Takayama is one of the places we wanted to visit for the spring festival, which will be held on April 14th-15th. We were initially wanting to visit Takayama's autumn festival but we were told that the spring festival is bigger and more popular with stalls.

Anyone knows any good side trips we could do from Takayama or has some suggestions?

4. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

Re: Takayama: autumn festival vs spring festival

April month is still cherry blossom season in the Kansai area so, you may want to visit Sakura. The town also hosts a similar festival (Apr 11-12) like Takayam with colourful parades. Other than that, if you're looking for trips from Takayama, why not add Shirakawa-go and Shinhotaka to your itinerary? In Shinhotaka, you can ride the ropeway up Mt Hotake (about 3,300 ft high)...it offers some spectacular scenery of the Japanese Alps.

5. Plaffert

Plaffert New Member

I love festivals, too bad I won't be there in that time of the year.