The birds of the Galapagos

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by wanderer, Feb 13, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Sure, Darwin had his turtles, but the islands of the Galapagos are a boon to bird kind. The blue-footed boobie, flightless cormorants, Darwin finches, hawks and even penguins have a home here. The
    Galapagos birds really put diversity on display.

2. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

I can confirm the birdlife on the Galapagos is unique and incredible.

If you seek out a particular bird, make sure that you check first with what islands may be closed to the public (for mating seasons, etc) and see if your date of arrival and travels there coincide with open islands that you wish to experience.....

3. mr.queragui

mr.queragui New Member

I've always been intrigued by the Galapagos islands. I've read that the diversity in species of birds is due to birds getting lost and ending up staying and inhabiting the islands. I also read that the animals are not afraid of humans because of such little human interaction, and no fight or flight response. I'd love to go there.

4. The Travel Slut

I will also confirm that the animals and birds and even marine life are unafraid of humans which makes it even more important to limit close contact with them even though it is tempting. You may find yourself having to step over land animals or hold still while sea lions and fish check you out in the waters,

It should be on your bucketlist....

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

That's really good advice. You do need to be especially careful while visiting the Galapagos Islands with its fragile eco system. That doesn't mean you need to stay home, but it does mean you should think where you tread.

6. The Travel Slut

I agree about the fragile eco-system and know that a lottery system for limiting visitors is a great idea but that without visitors, the island economy and subsequent funding would dry up and that would not be good for the wildlife.

So responsible travel to, from and during a visit to the Galapagos is still a good thing.