The Shard Skyscraper

Discussion in 'UK' started by Vicolette, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I was just reading about the newest addition to the London skyline set to open in June of 2012. From the look of it, The Shard is one beautiful piece of architecture with views of London for miles and miles. The skyscraper has apartments, office space, restaurants, and a hotel. The observation level on the 72-floor is currently open to the public. Has anyone been to the new skyscraper or have any plans of going soon or attending the opening?

2. RedStripe

RedStripe New Member

Shard London Bridge tallest in Europe

im glad they're finally opening the Shard to the public after all these years...and just in time with the London Olympics in 2012. Btw, The Shard will be the first building in the UK to be over 1000ft high, which is nearly twice the height of the Gherkin.

3. SupremeBeings

SupremeBeings New Member

Undoubtedly the Shard will have an impact on the skyline of London Bridge area..you can get the best street views of the Shard from most of the other London boroughs outside Southwark. I took a few photographs from one of the vantage points Lambeth and Tower Hamlets. The interesting thing is that the Shard appears very different depending on where you see it..anyways here's a photo I took last year:

Attached Files:

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Thanks for sharing the excellent photo! Looks like a very neat building.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing the picture. From the different views I've seen, while it is an imposing structure against the London skyline, the architect seems to have found a way to make it work. I imagine it will be a very popular location when the Olympics are in London.

6. melliset

melliset New Member

The Shard Skyscraper is a real 21st Century architectural wonder. Waiting for its opening in mid 2012. I would love to visit there someday.

7. aquamaureen

aquamaureen New Member

I just checked The Shard's website. I am disappointed that the viewing galleries won't be open until February 2013.