things to do in Council Bluffs

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by hotmailers, Mar 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. hotmailers

hotmailers New Member

hi,

My wife and I would love to explore Council Bluffs but we've never been there before...we're planning to make a trip there maybe in late April..i was just wondering what popular things to do in Council Bluffs you could suggest? thanks!

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

hi there,

If you and your wife are interested in history, the Western Historic Trails museum is a great place to learn about the 1830s Oregon Trail, the California Gold Rush Trail, and the more than 30,000 Mormons who passed through here in the 1840s.

There is also two other history museums in the city worth checking out and these include the Union Pacific Museum, and the Railswest Railroad Museum, which has beautiful examples of old train cars.

If history is of interest to you, other attractions include the "Squirrel Cage" Jail, which is only one of three remaining examples of a rotary jail in the country, with cells arranged in a pie shape around a central door.

Another of the things to do in Council Bluffs includes visiting one of the state parks such as Lake Manawa State Park, where you can do some hiking and fishing.