Timeline Cover Photo Dimensions

Discussion in 'Destination360 Copyright and DMCA settlements' started by d360, Dec 15, 2011.

1. d360

d360 Administrator

I've received several emails asking about photo dimensions for Facebook timeline cover photos. You should be making your images 851 x 315 pixels. And we added a page on how to add a timeline cover photo.

I hope this helps and write back if you need anymore technical advice.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. typical-situation2

typical-situation2 New Member

size for timeline cover photo

Also, if you make the image less than 851 pixels, it will create a border on the sides. If you make it larger than 315 (as well as 851) it will give you the option to drag the image about. FB Timeline here I come!

3. udontget4

udontget4 New Member

Facebook will resize the cover photo

yep, the images used in the cover should be 850 x 315 pixels if you want it to fit perfectly. However, Facebook will resize the cover photo for you, though don't use small photos since they will look grainy when magnified to that size;)

4. toomanychoices

toomanychoices New Member

3-easy steps to setup FB timeline cover photo

1. hover your mouse over the picture until 'Change Cover' appears.
    2. click on the down arrow next to 'Change Cover' a drop down menu will appear with your choices, including 'Upload a Photo'.
    3. Publish the image.

5. tandoori56

tandoori56 New Member

choosing Timeline Cover Photo Dimensions

are you guys sure of these dimensions? Facebook officially says that your cover image must be at least 720 pixels wide because smaller images will get upload errors. I tried to upload a smaller image and got a message to upload cover photo at least 399px wide.

6. udontget4

udontget4 New Member

FB cover photo: 850px by 315px

where have you read that tandoori? Your cover photo has to be at least 720 pixels wide because If it’s any narrower, you’ll be asked to select a different image. However, the ideal dimensions should be 850px wide by 315px high. Also, remember that cover photos tend to get pixelated, so it’s best to load a high-res image.

7. SmokyRocky

SmokyRocky New Member

you can edit FB timeline photo

FB will only allow you to reposition the cover photo if you upload a larger image . For most large photos, this will work more like moving the photo ‘up and down’ till you get all the area of your interest in the fixed size of 850×315. Then you can save your Facebook cover photo.

8. keralahmart

keralahmart New Member

i don't think these thing are required.what you just need to do is just upload a pic FB will make it compatible automatically

9. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I just uploaded an image without checking the size, and I thought it looked kind of blown out. I guess I should try re-sizing it. Thanks for this advice!

10. Abigail

Abigail New Member

I was not aware of the dimension of time line photo for face-book. That is the reason why some people's time line photo doesn't appear correctly. Thanks for the information.

11. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I had that problem too with the last cover photo I loaded. It was kind of blurry. I think the key is starting with a really big image. The more data there is to begin with, the better it will look when you resize it.

12. wordtrvl

wordtrvl Guest

the current size for Facebook Cover Photos is 851 pixels wide, 315 pixels tall. To get the fastest load times upload an sRGB JPG file that's and less than 100 kilobytes.

13. Kelsey Ledford

Kelsey Ledford New Member

Must be at least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall. Loads fastest as an sRGB JPG file that's 851 pixels wide, 315 pixels tall and less than 100 kilobytes. For profile pictures and cover photos with your logo or text, you may get a better result by using a PNG file. - FB