Times Square New Years Eve 2011

Discussion in 'New York' started by Vicolette, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

New Years Eve will be here before you know it and many people will be celebrating in their favorite city either in person or via TV. Probably the most well-known year-end party is celebrated in Times Square in New York City. Who plans to be there among the thousands this year watching the ball drop and ringing in the New Year?

2. lisabhaji

lisabhaji New Member

I've watched Times Square ball drop on TV numerous times, but I don;t see what the fuss is about. I think is time for NY to come up with something different and get rid of the silly ball.

The rest of the US has much better and more creative displays. I don't know why everybody says that New Years Eve at Times Square is something special when it clearly isn't.

3. oneillsamosa56

oneillsamosa56 New Member

I have never seen the ball drop in times square before but I am doing it this year, though im not looking forward to the experience of being rubbed up against total strangers, and may be getting pickpoketed.

4. globalfoup

globalfoup New Member

worth going to Times Square for New Years Eve?

i've done Times Square a few times and now I prefer watching it from the comfort of my living room. if you're going to see the ball drop you should know that it's simply a ball with lights in it. Also, while in the crowds prepare for constant shoulder blocking, and possible groping. Oh, don't take a backpack...the new rules say no backpacks.

5. viperpowered

viperpowered New Member

NYC New Years Eve

not trying to knock the new years eve experience, but do you really want to spend that day standing in a huge crowd in the cold? if you do, by all means knock yourself out, but like other posters said it's just a ball with lights. Besides, New Yorkers don't even bother to go because standing out in the cold isn't their idea of fun.

6. madrasgop

madrasgop New Member

NYC's ball drop is a tourist attraction

I think it's fair to say that the Ball Drop is the main attraction in the City during the holiday season...I don't think they should get rid of the ball since many tourists come simply to see it. If you're dead set on attending the ball drop this New Years Eve I suggest that you dont go alone if you're a woman. I don't think you'll be bothered, but it's just a good idea to have someone else with you.

7. Alienarehere

Alienarehere New Member

more to Times Square than the ball drop

you know people that the ball drop isn't the only thing to do in Manhattan..if you're looking for things to do in Manhattan New Year's Eve that doesn't involve Times Square you can always head to Central Park. The fireworks in Central Park at midnight will be a very popular spot. There'll also be comedy clubs and burlesque shows at Broadway in NYE that will be fun.

8. fulango99

fulango99 New Member

NYE in NYC

I second that you don't need to be in Times Square since the ball drop can be enjoyed in the comfort of a heated room with free-flowing Champagne;)

By the way, if anyone is thinking of a trip to NYC on NYE I would suggest holding it off. It's best you leave it to Jan. 1 or 2 when hotel prices drop, airfare probably drops, Xmas decorations are still up and on the sales are on.

9. supasupa

supasupa New Member

best place to see the ball drop in Times Square

I would like to say that Times Square ball isn't just any ball...it's a Waterford Crystal ball, which can display more than 16 million colors and billions of patterns. I would more than recommend going to see the ball drop but make sure you head to Broadway between West 43rd and West 50th Streets and on Seventh Avenue up to West 59th Street to get the best spots to view the ball drop.

10. racezJona

racezJona New Member

reasons to avoid Times Square on New Years Eve

I would too suggest to skip the ball drop at Times Square unless you have a good high rise to see it from...and believe me, you're most likely looking at seeing the whole thing on a jumbotron screen, and for that you may as well stay at home. I should also remind folks that it will be freezing (below 0), no bathrooms, and no food because you will be stuck in the crowds...

11. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks to everyone for the helpful, first-hand experience, especially concerning safety issues, for those revelers who may be making their way to New York from other cities or countries for the holidays. Like many of you, I've been watching the Waterford crystal ball drop from the convenience of my home for many years while flipping stations and checking out other city celebrations. I like to stay warm! Happy holidays, everyone!

12. chatdawson2

chatdawson2 New Member

forget about Times Square ball drop

I would avoid Times Square like the plague regardless of what everyone says..trust me you will absolutely hate being there at any time on NYE. Pre 9/11 and I would have said to go ahead..now you will have problems using bathrooms, security will not be nice and who knows what can happen...sorry to sound paranoid but it's the truth.

13. strechUFO

strechUFO New Member

watching the ball drop at One Times Square

Rockefeller Center is a great spot from which to watch the celebrations and the ball drops at One Times Square. If you want to watch the ball drop with the hundreds of thousands of people on the streets of NYC, be prepared for pushing and shoving. Once you find a good spot don’t leave since you won't get to “save your spot.