tips for choosing a hotel

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by cyberplop, Jun 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. cyberplop

cyberplop New Member

hey guys, what should you look for in a hotel to make your stay worthwhile? have you got any handy tips for travelers on a budget?

2. jamalian

jamalian New Member

I think the Hotel location is the most important thing to keep in mind when booking a hotel. Basically, if you choose a hotel right in the center of town you'll be close to all the attractions. However, city center hotels will, of course, be more expensive.

My second tip would be to read the reviews on the prospect hotel. Check out the hotel's website reviews as well as online reviews for an impartial review.

I think location and the reputation of the hotel are the things to keep in mind...maybe others can share more tips?

3. andyroddick

andyroddick New Member

I second Jamilian's tips! I first consider how close the hotel is to the tourist spots I want to visit, and second, it's the hotel's amenities.

Check out whether the hotel is closely located to bus tops and subways, and whether the hotel offers free parking. The reason for this, it's that most hotels say parking available and most people assume it's be free.

Do also check the rooms general hygiene especially in the bathrooms, and let the hotel know if the room isn't in a satisfactory condition.

4. d360

d360 Administrator

For me its in this order:

-Location. I like see to sights by walking, bike, or bus so I'll find hotels based on what I plan to see. Usually a bit more expensive but worth the expense.

-Using Google Maps and Streetview its nice to see whats around and shows a realistic view of area.

-Does it have internet and whats the cost

-and of course reviews although the sites like TripAdvisor can be filled with so many conflicting reviews its hard to get accurate information.

5. Liteon

Liteon New Member

use hotel booking tools

What I'd say is that before you even start searching for a hotel, you need to ask yourself what type of accommodations you want and set your budget. I find that once you have these worked out it makes it easier for you to decide the location and weather you need a hotel with a pool for the kids.

Another tip I can give you is to use hotel booking tools to see check rates on the hotels. Once you find the one you're interested in you can go straight to the hotel's web site to book directly for a cheaper price.

6. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel New Member

Well you must look for the hotel's credibility. Make sure it is safe or nothing bad has ever happened to one of the travelers that stayed there. Must be easy to reach, quite near to some restaurant or gas station.

Make sure that the hotel is offering what you deserves and it is located near a tourist spot of that certain location.

7. oscarcruise

oscarcruise New Member

Hi
    Before choosing a Hotel, firstly i prefer that it should be in budget and secondly it will be good if the hotel is situated close to the visiting places in the city.After setting these priorities you can collect the information about it from website.many websites can help you out in selecting hotels in different countries and cities as per your budget.

8. JFoxxx

JFoxxx New Member

more hotel tips

I have traveled quite a bit and worked at a hotel before, and from experience I'd look out first for the price of the hotel as it's a good indicator of how good or bad the hotel really is.

Another obvious tip would be to ask friends and family for advice if they have stayed in a certain hotel as they can give you a few tips.

Another tip is to request to check the room before checking in. However, if you decide you don't want to stay there anymore you may not get your money back so check that the hotel offers a money-back guarantee should not wish to stay at their hotel any longer.

9. stevenyoung

stevenyoung New Member

searching for a hotel

Location: All the major booking sites allow you to view search results on a map so you can see which ones are right on the beach or in the neighborhoods you prefer. Many, including Expedia and Hotels.com, also have the extra capability of searching for and mapping a hotel in relation to a particular point of interest, such as Times Square or the San Diego Zoo. Good old-fashioned guidebooks are another good source for finding hotels in a certain location, as hotels are often listed by neighborhood and plotted on a city map.

10. eurostarr

eurostarr New Member

choose a hotel right in town

Choosing a hotel near the main attractions is a wise thing to do because the last thing you want to do on vacation is travel hours on end to get to the major tourist spots.

Look out for the tell tale signs that can help you make up your mind about the hotel when making enquiries at hotels you are considering. Of course, you can also ask others or check out review sites on the Internet that could offer useful information.

11. aarankell

aarankell New Member

when choosing a hotel...

When I am choosing a hotel the most important thing I consider is the hotel's location. Second thing I look for is that the hotel provides comfortable and convenient services like room service, etc. Third thing I look for is the price to make sure the hotel's rates are competitive and not a rip-off.

12. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime New Member

how to choose a hotel

what I do when I am looking to go on vacation and book a hotel is to check out the many websites in the internet and review sites like tripadvisor to have an idea of what people are saying about a given hotel.

Of course, do take the reviews and comments from people with a pinch of salt as sometimes posters live negative feedback vengefully; or paint a nice picture because they got a free stay in that hotel...one last thing...I find that chain hotels are best because all their chain hotels offer similar amenities and facilities across the globe.

13. webmaster12

webmaster12 New Member

Hello,

Well, search engines are the best to find the hotel in any country that makes easy to work for your goal while you are busy or not.

Thanks.

14. Eyewitness

Eyewitness New Member

Best as said above would be to do Internet Search, but follow it up with a e-mail to the local tourist information center in the place you would like to stay's area, for some feed back...

15. ankydas

ankydas New Member

Choosing the right hotel is always a trying task. Since every traveler has different needs when searching for a hotel, you'll need to ask yourself what's most important to you. You should consider the services, location, rent, facilities of the hotel. Alos read traveler reviews of the hotel and try to choose hotels that offer bundled discounts.

16. celonagh

celonagh New Member

hard to choose a hotel

I find it daunting choosing a hotel to be honest and online reviews aren't always accurate...for instance, tripadvisor is meant to be a good source for hotel reviews but can you rally trust them? many of the reviews there sound artificial and made up. I think the only way to truly know a hotel is as good as what it claims is if family and friends have been there. I trust a word to mouth referral 100 times more than an anonymous review online.

17. 9jouer

9jouer New Member

clean hotels

My biggest priority in a hotel is cleanliness! I would hate to find out that the hotel's sheets, blankets, etc. were not changed for me. Location would be my second choice, though I wouldn't give my arm to finance a stay in the hottest spot;)

18. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I tend to stay with familiar brands. I rather like Courtyards, and I tend to pick them wherever I go. If that doesn't work out, I tend to read the reviews and filter out the really positive ones and the really negative ones.

19. onlyyou

onlyyou New Member

booking engines

booking engines are a great way to find cheap hotels as nearly every major booking engine gives you the option to sort your results by price. Saying this, don't limit yourself to the big three (Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz) — you should also pay a visit to aggregator sites like Kayak and Sidestep, and lodging sites like Hotels.com and PlacestoStay.com.

20. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That is really great advice...it's worth the time if you're going to save some $$$.