Train from Rome to Florence

Discussion in 'Italy' started by rain, Sep 5, 2006.

1. rain

rain Guest

We would like to travel from Rome to Florence by train(not with Eurostar), how long will it take to reach Florence?

Thanks in advance!

2. world trecker

world trecker New Member

It all depends on the type of train you take. Le Frecce is the fastest, I think, and I don't know the exact number, but I'd wager that a trip with this train should take about 90 minutes. I believe it's about a 200 mile trip, give or take 20 miles.

3. joe

joe Guest

it's 197 miles, and about an hour forty minute trip.

4. d360

d360 Administrator

My recommendations for booking a Europe Train is Rail Europe. I've used Rail Pass on several occasions and they seem to have the best pricing as well as a lot of specials and promotions.

5. texaco

texaco New Member

hey guys, I am taking my dad to Rome and Florence in August, and we are flying into Rome and will immediately take the train to Florence.

i wanna purchase the train tickets in advance, but am not sure how long it normally takes to clear customs/immigration and retrieve your luggage

Can someone give me advice and/or some estaimtes of the amount of time this will take so that I don't book a train too early? We will be arriving around 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday. Thanks for your help.

6. Ruby

Ruby Guest

I don't think you need to worry about buying your Rome-Florence train tickets in advance, but what might be a good idea is to print out a train schedule as the date of your trip approaches so you have an idea as to the time and frequency of the trains.

I would suggest going from the airport to Roma Termini and then going to the ticket windows to get your train tickets.

By the way, all train seats are assigned now so be sure you get the right car/coach, class and seat number. I've heard stories of people standing the entire 4 hour ride because they got the wrong seat!

7. lynda ann

lynda ann New Member

We did the reverse journey. We got the train from Florence to Rome with pre booked tickets that we picked up at our Florence hotel.

As you are going straight there from your flight I think the best thing is to leave 2-3 hours in case the plane is delayed or your baggage retrieval takes a while. Our baggage/customs etc.. in Rome or Florence has been fairly quick. Just like on any flight, about 20 -30 mins or so in to get out of the airport.

The train is excellent. Station is quite near to the centre of Florence so you could have a little walk around or stop somewhere for a coffee /meal etc. to give yourselves some spare time in case of delays etc..

Alternatively, you can get a coach from Rome to Florence.

8. dimitri67

dimitri67 New Member

driving from rome to florence

I just wanted to add that if you're thinking to drive from Rome to Florence, you could do that by all means, but the thing about Florence is that they have numerous restricted areas, including the historic areas and computerized cameras to catch your license plate.

However, if you're planning to visit Rome, Florence as well as Venice, without no side trips then I would suggest catching the IC train which takes abut 3 hours and cost $36 for a round-trip ticket.

9. hp908

hp908 New Member

how to get from Rome to Florence by train

There are many trains running directly between Rome Termini Station and Florence Santa Maria Novella Station. However, if you want a cheaper train fair, you will have to get one of the slow trains from Roma Tiburtina station.

I personally love the Eurostar trains because they are quick, however, they are super expensive, and you have to reserve a seat in advance.

10. popthetrse

popthetrse New Member

dont use the bus in Italy

I agree with the previous poster that the Eurostar train is the fastest way to get from Rome to Florence, but I personally think that the slower trains are better not only because they are cheaper but because you will get a better experience overall.

I would discourage you from using the bus to get to either Florence, Rome or anywhere else in Italy (horrible experience with backpackers). The main reason I prefer the train is that Italy is best travelled by the train as train connections are pretty good and regular.

11. sugarshane

sugarshane New Member

InterCity train to Florence takes 2 hours

If you plan to visit Florence from Rome in one day then, I would have to agree that the InterCity train will be best quickest way. Otherwise, the car is a great way to see the Italian countryside, though allow a good 4 hours on the road.

I should mention the Eurostar as an option too even though I don't likeit as it's way way too expensive...basically, with the EuroStar train the journey takes about 90 minutes, while with the InterCity train the journey takes about 2 hours.

Of course, there are other trains and other smaller stations that can offer other possibilities to travel from Rome to Florence but they are further away and trains are way too slow.

12. jennadsen

jennadsen New Member

Intercity or Intercity Plus trains are dirty

Why wouldn't anyone want to use the Eurostar? It's the quickest, cleanest and easiest way to get from Rome to Florence. It just takes 1 and 30 minutes.

If you're broke, I guess you could opt to take the Intercity or Intercity Plus trains, which are cheaper, slower (three and a half hours) and a little less clean (trust me..they're disgusting so make sure to pack antibacterial gel).

13. ferrarimurcielago

ferrarimurcielago New Member

I highly recommend the Eurostar trains

you don't have to worry about buying your Rome-Florence train tickets in advance, but what you will need is to print out an Italian train schedule so you have an idea as to the time and frequency of the trains.

As others have mentioned you have a few options such as High Speed Rail (fast) or Intercity (very slow), and you can buy tickets online on Rail Europe. Either way, I highly recommend the Eurostar trains as they are very comfortable, though remember that Eurostar trains require reservations in advance.

14. zara12

zara12 New Member

what to see in Florence

Florence is a beautiful city and there is lots to see and do such as visiting Piazza della Signoria, which is Florence's most famous square and is located the heart of the historic center. You will find there many important statues including a copy of Michelangelo's David.

You also must visit the medieval Palazzo Vecchio, which sits on the piazza. The palazzo contains intricate decorated public rooms and private apartments that can you can visit on a tour

15. t@m@r@

t@m@r@ New Member

get an InterRail pass

If you plan to travel quite a bit in Italy, or to other European countries I suggest that you get an InterRail pass, which I think is the best way to explore Italy. If you do, be advised that there are four different types of pass available and you can book up to three months before you intend to travel, making it easier to budget for your trip.

by the way,you can buy tickets at the station on the day you travel, even if you don't speak Italian as the pale blue and yellow 'fast ticket' machines installed at all main stations have a touch screen with an English language facility.

16. campeon

campeon New Member

driving in Italy is pure madness

I agree that there's no better way to get a taste of Italy than by train. Honestly, driving in Italy is pure madness as Italians are "loco" drivers. Also, domestic flights in Italy aren't that great either as you will end up wasting a lot of time at the airport going through customs.

Believe me people, you'll find trains faster, more convenient and more relaxing, and getting from Rome to Florence is just 1 hour 35 minutes.

17. hbo34

hbo34 New Member

a railpass isn't always best

Agreed! there's no better way to tour Italy than taking a train as Italy's rail network is extensive so the train can get you where you need to go-and fast!

I also suggest getting a railpass if you plan to travel to more than two cities in Italy to save money, otherwise, it's best you get point to point tickets if you just plan to travel between Rome and Florence only.

18. elrey

elrey New Member

arriving in Florence

I just wanted to chime in that Florence's main railway station is Firenze Santa Maria Novella which is in the city centre. then, there is Firenze Campo di Marte which is just outside the main road ring (boulevard) that surrounds the historical city center (the viali circonvalazione) and is next to the city's Artemio Franchi stadium, where Florence's soccer team, Fiorentina, plays its matches.

If you plan to arrive to Firenze Santa Maria Novella train station note that it is open from 4:15 am to 1:30 am.

19. seniorlevel

seniorlevel New Member

driving to Rome is too long

I think the train much better overall than driving. Yes, the countryside is beautiful but the drive from Florence to Rome is pretty long and once you get there you will be too tired and have little time to explore in depth.

Otherwise, I would take the train from Lucca to Florence, pick up the car there, drive south around Chianti, then back to Florence. Only because the train from Lucca to Florence is pretty quick and just cuts down on the driving so you can save that for the beautiful Chianti region.

20. felipeL

felipeL New Member

train travel in Italy

Type of train passes in Italy include the Eurail Flexi pass, Eurail Italy pass and Eurostar Italia pass. The Eurail Flexi pass is the one everyone recommends, but you need to know that even a Eurail pass only saves money if you travel from Rome to Venice or the equivalent every single day. If you only travel Rome-Florence in a day, or Florence to Venice, the pass loses money.

Also, if you pre-book your tickets and travel 2nd class it will save you even more money than getting a pass, though the only drawback is that you won't get your money back if you want a refund.