Train transportation in Switzerland

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by Vicolette, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Can anyone share information for travelers who want to make their way by train around Switzerland using the Glacier Express, Bernina Express, and Furka Steam Railway.

2. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Well, you could book a vacation package that includes rail travel, so you just have to get Switzerland and have fun. If you're the type who wants to book your own travel, you can book directly with SBB CFF FFS. I have no idea what that stands for, but it is the train system of Switerzland for both day trips and longer trips.

3. Thetravelflex

Thetravelflex New Member

if you plan to do train travel in Switzerland I suggest going first class. dont' get me wrong, second class is nice too but you will get more privacy, larger seats, and fewer crowds which will make your train experience more enjoyable. Saying this, first class is fairly expensive but i think it's worth the extra money .

4. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. I've traveled by train a couple of times and found I really like the leisurely ride through scenic countryside more than a quick flight. Just depends on how much time is available for vacationing on which option is best. A train trip through Switzerland would be awesome especially if traveling first-class. I'd also like to travel on the elegant Blue Train in South Africa.