Traveling by Amtrak's Auto Train

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by Vicolette, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

For an alternate way to travel, consider the auto train that runs from Lorton, VA just outside DC to Sanford Florida just outside Orlando. Traveling and bringing your car with you saves by not needing to rent a car and it also saves money on gas and wear and tear on your car. The train offers bedrooms, roomettes, and special accommodations and includes continental breakfast and dinner. You can relax and enjoy the trip then hop in your car and head to your destination.

2. guesswhat?

guesswhat? New Member

there's no doubt that the Auto Train is Amtrak's finest train, though it's often crowded, particularly during the months when the snow birds travel. If you're traveling during the peak periods, I would suggest booking several months ahead since sleeping car reservations are very hard to get on short notice.

3. Vicolette

Good point. It's always a good idea to plan ahead and book in advance especially during peak season. Train travel is right up there with motorcycle travel as one of the best scenic adventures.

4. safeste89

safeste89 New Member

Autotrain is only good if you're over 60

I rode on the Amtrak Autotrain just once from Washington to Sanford, and all I can say is that it was disappointing. I calculated that I could have driven the same distance in about half the time and much less than half the cost. I could also have slept in my car at a rest area off the interstate, which would have been a lot better than the back breaking seats on the train.

5. Vicolette

Nothing wrong with being over 60 and I'd disagree that only folks of that age are taking the train. :) Sometimes it's more about the adventure of traveling by rail and enjoying a leisurely ride versus driving the endless miles of the interstate. If someone is in a hurry to get to the next stop, definitely train travel is slower than by car. I've traveled both ways and the one thing I don't miss are the sleep overs at a rest stop. Nothing restful about it and I've had my share. :)