Traveling to Ayers rock Uluru

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Welington2, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Welington2

Welington2 New Member

A few of us are traveling to Ayers rock Uluru to check out some of the Australian rocks and many be for a bit of climbing, but it would be our first time there...do guys have any suggestions or advice on this trip and climbing the rocks?

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

hi there,

If you plan to travel to Ayers rock Uluru, to view one of the most famous Australia rocks, be sure to check the weather forecast for the day.

The reason I say this, it is because Uluru Australia is in the midst of a desert and temperatures can get very hot during the day and quite cold at night. Therefore, I would advice to bring plenty of sun block, as well as lots of water.

If you are also looking for a climb, the Australia Ayers rock can be climbed on its northwestern side. Climbing is generally open from about 5am to around 8am, due to the extreme daytime heat of the area.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

3. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

Uluru is a sacred site for the aborigines and climbing the rock is not encouraged. The beauty of the rock can best be seen from afar or on walk-abouts around the perimeter (about 10K's if I recall).

Plan on heat and/or cold depending on the time of year and day you walk the rock. Also, flies can be pesty so opt for a hat with a mesh face/neck screen.

4. BlackEyes

BlackEyes New Member

Actually, for most purposes, climbing the rock is not encouraged not, not only because it is a sacred site for the Aborigines, but also for safety reasons, as climbing it woul be rather risky. If you still want to climb it, it would be better if you ask the permission of the locals first for courtesy reasons. They actually don't prohibit climbing the rock, as some people might think, and will likely allowed you if they are sure that you would be taking the necessary precautions.