Traveling with my mother and daughter

Discussion in 'Spain' started by klista, Jan 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. klista

klista New Member

I am going to spain with my mother (61) to see my daughter on her 21st birthday in April. She is in Grenada for the semester. We are flying into Madrid and have 8 days to travel in Spain. Does anyone have a suggested itinerary or anyplaces that are worth seeing or staying?

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi again,

April month is Easter time festive season in Spain so book your accommodation well in advance as things get fully booked very quickly and it is also a fairly busy time in Spain.

Granada is actually not far from Madrid. It is around 4 hours driving time from Madrid to Granada and only 30 minutes if you choose a flight.

My suggested itinerary:

Day 1-2: Seville

Seville is one of the most popular destinations in Spain. It is the spiritual home of both “flamenco†and “bullfighting†and it has some of the most beautiful gardens and buildings in all of Spain. It is also famous for the Cathedral and “Giralda towerâ€, the “Alcazarâ€, and the “Plaza de Españaâ€.

Seville has an airport, as well as in nearby Granada and it is only two-and-a-half hours by train from Madrid.

Day 3-4: Cadiz

Cadiz is in the south coast of Spain. It is a beautiful old city that is well worth a visit. Driving time from Seville is around 1 hour.

When you are in Cadiz, things to see are the Cathedral, the Torre Tavira, Caleta beach.

Day 5-6: Malaga

Malaga is a lively city and it is Picasso's birthplace. Things to see are the “Museo Picassoâ€, and the “Alcazabaâ€, which once belonged to the old Muslim rulers.
    It is around 2 hours driving from Cadiz.

Day 7-8: Granada

The last stop in your itinerary and probably the most exciting as you will get a chance to visit “the Alhambra†in Spain which is the best conserved Arabian palace of its epoch.

Also, you might want to try the famous free tapas, drink Moroccan tea and have a smoke of fruit-flavored tobacco in the “El Albaicin†Moorish quarter and watch flamenco in the “Sacromonte†gypsy quarter.

If you would like anymore ideas for your itinerary in Spain, please visit this link http://www.destination360.com/europe/spain/suggested-itinerary-spain

Hope this helps
    VacationBuddy

3. d360

d360 Administrator

Hey Vacation Buddy,

Nice itinerary! its makes me want to get on a plane and go..

Cheers,
    Dan

4. klista

klista New Member

thank you for the itinerary. I am currently working on it. I will let you know how it turns out. Do you know if we need to make a train reservation to use the fast train from Madrid to Sevilla? I hate to make a reservation in case of flight delays.

5. Spaniola

Spaniola New Member

Hi Klista,

I'd like to add my two cents worth here if I may. As you're flying into Madrid why not take the opportunity to see this great capital city?

There is so much to see and so many fantastic cities to visit that it's impossible to do it all, maybe concentrate on two or three stops and explore those cities in more detail.

It is advisable to book train tickets on the AVE trains.

Spaniola

6. klista

klista New Member

Thank you for the input. I have reservations in Madrid for 3 nights on our way out. As of now we are heading to Sevilla when we arrive in Madrid we are planning on taking the AVE train. (do i need reservations? what if i have reservations & our flight is delayed?. We have 3 nights booked in Sevilla thinking the first night is a bust due to travel. So we still have 4 days to make our way to Madrid. Should we stay in Madrid longer & day trip out of there?? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks