trip to colon

Discussion in 'Panama' started by westerner, Aug 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. westerner

westerner New Member

Hi, I'm from Greece and planning a trip to Colon next month with my partner, both of us have been to Panama city but not to Colon. Last time by air, this time by cruise and looking for a good beach for fun and a nice place to eat Panamanian food? can anyone suggest some of the yummy Panamanian dishes that we can try during our Colon tour:) thanks for any suggestions.

2. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

We spent 3 nights at Panama city and headed to Colon by train. The train left Panama city at 7am and reached Colon approx. within 55 minutes, the journey was nice. Colon is one of the most important ports of Panama and popular for its eco-tourism. There are many things to do and see in Colon and we enjoyed the beautiful gardens, Panama Canal, historical monuments and a nearby beach.
    The Fort San Lorenzo is about a 40 minute ride from Colon and you have to cross the Panama Canal to get into this place. It has the majestic architecture and you can have a breathtaking view from the top of the fort. The other attractions are the Portobelo National Park and the Chagres National Park, both of them are having enough activities to do. There are really no beaches in Colon, so we went to Isla Grande which is about an hour drive from Colon and 15 minutes by water taxi, but it was quite nice. As far as I know it is one of the nicest beaches in Panama.
    if you are looking for good restaurants for Dining at Colon, then I'll suggest Jenny's restaurant. The Hojaldras, Patacones, Platano Maduro and Sancocho are some of Panamanian dishes we tried during our Panama tour. And if you are looking for accommodation then just visit Colon hotels to get an idea on hotels.
    Hope you'll have a nice trip!

3. westerner

westerner New Member

thanks guy for your suggestions. I know Patacones are popular in Panama and what is it? is a dish or drink? and what is Arroz con guandu, just i want to know it?

4. vdg23

vdg23 New Member

hi, I had Patacones during my Panama trip, it's just a fried plantain, but looks green. They cut into round pieces and make with deep frying. You can eat it as a snack or appetizer with your lunch, it doesn't taste that much good, but ok. And Arroz con guandu is one of the popular side dishes and cooked with rice & beans. It's nothing but a rice dish and can be eaten with any meals. You can also try Tamales, it's a nice dish:).

5. westerner

westerner New Member

is it a leaf, i thought it may be a roll with some meat, anyway i like to taste all types of food, so i'll try both Patacones and Arroz con guandu during my trip, thanks so much.