Two days in Ulaanbaatar

Discussion in 'Mongolia' started by vitoriam, Mar 30, 2011.

1. vitoriam

vitoriam New Member

I will be in Ulaanbaatar for two days by myself. Anyone who has been there who loves history, politics and women's/minority issues - if you only had two free days, what would you see? I found the CCCP resturant and that will be a stop for me. I am a single lady who will be alone.

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

I'd suggest visiting the Gandan Monastery and Choijin Lama Monastery, which houses a museum with a famous collection of Buddhist art works, and other artifacts like original silk icons and tsam dancing masks.

The Zanabazar Fine Arts Museum is also not to be missed in Ulaanbaatar and has a full collection of art works by local Mongolian artists.

Another must thing to do in in the city is shopping. There are many uniquely Mongolian artifacts you can buy in Ulaanbaatar such as Camel hair which is wonderfully warm and thicker than cashmere and is left its natural tan color.

Traditional hats, children clothes, boots, snuff bottles and embroidered pouches are also grreat things you can buy to bring back home to folks!

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Are you still out there vitoriam? How did your trip go? I have heard that the shopping here is quite wonderful.

4. vitoriam

vitoriam New Member

Ulaanbaatar is amazing!

hey Mittraveler: thanks for asking! Yes, the trip was a blast..I did a tour of the Gobi desert and also managed to visit the following places: Baga Gazriin Chuluu-Rock formations, Yoliin Am-Vulture Gorge, Khongor Sand Dunes, Bayan Zag-Flaming Cliffs, Ongi Monastery Ruins, and Khara Khorum, which is the place where the Erdene Zuu Monastery is located.